differential questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ttocs, Jun 26, 2016.

1. ttocs

ttocs Legend

Looking over the instructions for the rear brakes, to install the parking brake assembly I will need to take the axles out and then slide their assembly around it. While I am in there I figure it will be a good time to finally do some gears and wondered both what gears I should get and what else should be done while I am in there? Looking for about 400 hp with the setup I have going and not sure what gearing is best or what brand.

I am also interesting in doing what ever is needed to keep the speedo correct.

2. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

Ford gears only! Im using the stock 2.73 only because my power band is off idle to 3800rpm

3. g36 monkey

g36 monkey Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Based on the setup you're going with, I would recommend 3.73 or 3.55 Scott. Give the blower a chance to spool and make the power.

Ford Racing gears for sure. After seeing you learn how to do everything else, I imagine you can figure out how to do gears, but they are kind of a pain to do without whining.

Are you looking for a new diff as well? [MENTION=9209]ReplicaR[/MENTION] just mentioned the Torsen T2R in my thread and was raving about how much better it is than the Ford T-Lok you currently have. I will be getting one eventually, may not be a bad idea to do while you're in there

4. Thomas_W

Thomas_W Well-Known Member

If your current rear has high mileage, may as well do a full rebuild of the rear and posi-trac unit

5. ttocs

ttocs Legend

what would you consider high milage? How much will that cost me?! :)

6. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

100k plus. If I were you.. 03/04 Termi 31 spline diff, moser 31 spline axles and ford racing 3.55 gears. Do it once and be done.

7. ttocs

ttocs Legend

At what point are the axles absolutely necessary? I mean while I have them out I would love to slide some new ones in but funds are still slightly low from baer day. Do I need to swap anything else out for the 31 spline or just the axles?

8. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

I mean if you plan on racing the car, lotta clutch dumps and hard launches on sticky tires, I'd upgrade them. All you'd need is the 31 spline diff, 31 spline axles and your gears of choice.

9. g36 monkey

As noted, it's all about what you want to do with the car Scott. The stock 8.8 can handle a good beating for a long time with the 28 spline axles. 31 spline is stronger, albeit I don't know how necessary it is for you to upgrade. I went with 31 spline with a factory t-lok rebuild, hardened studs, etc.

As I understand, your car is more of a street warrior/weekend cruiser than anything correct? I think the factory setup will suit you fine with a refresh of the t-lok.

10. ttocs

ttocs Legend

ah the more I thought about it I am going to be doubling the HP that the 20+ yr old stock pieces were made to handle.... So yea gonna have to figure out a way. So the axles I can find but the 31 differential, where is that?

11. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

If funds are low you can upgrade the rear later. Keep an eye out for deals until then.

12. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

13. g36 monkey

At that price, $230, you're practically halfway to the Torsen. Personally I would just go with the Torsen at that point. I got my 31 spline significantly cheaper, otherwise I would have gone with a torsen or other upgraded differential without clutches.

14. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

Torsen doesn't like the burnouts though. I think Scott would be more of a Cobra 31 spline or Auburn.

I looked at the T2 a lot before I bought my Auburn Pro and hard street driving eats them up especially when lighting up the tires, which I think Scott will be doing quite a bit with not driving this thing in forever.

15. g36 monkey

Then an Auburn or an Eaton. Either way.

16. ttocs

ttocs Legend

yes its going to take some getting use to just to have a v8 again let alone all the extras. I am not planning on lots of burn outs though as the 19" rears are not cheap, but yet I do have a line lock :)

17. Thomas_W

Fors racing master overhaul kit has all the bearings, seals, races and shims for $100-120.

Differential get from a 03/04 cobra then rebuild if (ive seen the diffs for as low as $100, a rebuild clutch kit around $80-100)

gears- $150-180

axles- $250ish

if you plan to ever go to the track, i'd do the Strange C clip elimantors as they have the axle tube brake bracket integrated into the elimintor.

18. g36 monkey

Or get 9 inch housings welded to the ends, the real c-clip eliminators :)

19. Thomas_W

Yup. Thats another $250+ though

20. ttocs

ttocs Legend

What is involved in rebuilding the diff in time? I am trying to weigh the cost with the problem that I have 100 different things to do..