Dipstick and starting issues.

Jason_Charowsky

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just picked up a 1995 GT convertible, and I am having some issues with it. First when I got it home yesterday I was playing around in the engine bay and pulled the dipstick right out of the block and now i’m leaking oil. Has anyone else experienced this and are there ways to fix it without putting a new tube in. Next I was driving and noticed the battery was extremely low, when I got back in to start it it wouldn’t. Battery was put in 2 months ago. Could this be an alternator or is there just a drain somewhere in the electrical system. TIA

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Did something break on the dipstick or the mount? It should just go back into place unless something broke.

as for the electrical problem did you have the premium sound/mach system? The amps are known to be battery drains and nobody disconnects the one under the radio when the bypass it all.

OP
OP
Jason_Charowsky

Jason_Charowsky

Reaction score
I think the nut on top of the dipstick that holds it in place was missing.

I do have the mach system in the car so I will definitely take a look into it.

Thanks

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you pull back the carpet on the drivers side of the console under the radio you can see the harnesses that plug into the amp and disconnect them. If you are playing your music through it you will need to rewire it but its worth it and not that hard if we need to. Now be careful not to disconnect the blue ABS unit in front of the amp, the amp is just a metal square with some holes in it and 2 harnesses iirc.

joemomma

Reaction score
I did the exact same thing to my dipstick first time I went to check the oil in it. It was a bitch to get it back down in the block, but it got it. I just make sure to hold the tube while pulling the stick out. Mine didn't have a nut on it - should there be one?

OP
OP
Jason_Charowsky

Jason_Charowsky

Reaction score
Turns out the last person to play with my alternator broke the clip that holds the wires on. Just had to clip the wire back in and everything is working fine. Ill be messing with the dipstick shortly.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Turns out the last person to play with my alternator broke the clip that holds the wires on. Just had to clip the wire back in and everything is working fine. Ill be messing with the dipstick shortly.
if the clip holding it is missing, replace it. It might feel nice and tight when the motor is cold but a little heat and a little vibration and it will start to slowly fail and that could cause other problems. If even one of the clips that holds a sensor is missing and there is more than one, replace it for the same reason.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99