Direct Engine Swap Tools List

Jayman

Reaction score
I do apologize if this has been posted before but I'm on my cell and need answers. Normally I'd comb through every ancient post looking for the intel I need but I'm kinda desperate here. My garage is a limited size with limited inventory due to living in military housing. My Mustang has a serious cylinder head issue right now and I wanna know what tools I'd need to for an engine swap. Same year, same size. If anyone has done an engine replacement please help me out here. All I need is a list of the tools and maybe new parts I'd need to swap motors with a parts donor. Thank you!

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Well a 13mm ratcheting wrench is a life saver but you will need 7-18mm sockets deep and shallow and wrenches.... I think the engine mount bolt is an odd one out..... obviously a engine hoist rags index cards a marker and lots of plastic ziploc bags. I haven't dropped the k for a motor swap yet.

Little plastic fuel line dis connectors... screw drivers.....

I did my first swap at the auto craft center with a medium size off brand tool set....

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If your starter has never been dropped...lol...the top third bolt is a pain and you need like 40" of extension to get to it

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well a 13mm ratcheting wrench is a life saver but you will need 7-18mm sockets deep and shallow and wrenches.... I think the engine mount bolt is an odd one out..... obviously a engine hoist rags index cards a marker and lots of plastic ziploc bags. I haven't dropped the k for a motor swap yet.

Little plastic fuel line dis connectors... screw drivers.....

I did my first swap at the auto craft center with a medium size off brand tool set....

I use the sandwich bags with the white write on location, can't live without them. Anyone working on cars should use them unless your garage has unlimited storage space/bins (not most of us).

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
I use the sandwich bags with the white write on location, can't live without them. Anyone working on cars should use them unless your garage has unlimited storage space/bins (not most of us).
Yeah I'm very detailed about where the item can from..... I have a couple project going on at once so its even more helful

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I would also say, for the midpipe bolts it should be 18mm short socket, 6 point. With a universal swivel and some extensions on it. I hated life pulling my stock 1998 mid pipe off, and striped two 12 point sockets in the process.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online