Disappointing day at the track :(

96SVTCobra

Reaction score
Well, it looks like the motor is pulling some wicked timing from the seemingly worthless check engine light.

best ET: 14.3 @ 98mph

I've never run a 98mph quarter before... not to mention that ET is half a second behind what I usually run. 60 foot was suffering as well. Looks like it's off to the ford dealership to tell the computer to SHUT THE HELL UP!

In better news, after noticing play between the shift handles in my Tri-Ax I got in there, cut a piece off of the inner boot, and moved the shifter down to the lowest notch. MUCH shorter ;D

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
well could have been worse, but what is going on with the light anyway.......do you have any idea ???

OP
OP

96SVTCobra

Reaction score
absolutely no idea. It did happen to surface when the car was stolen, but I thought it was a smog pipe that got snagged in the front end wreckage. Once the smog pipe was un-crimped, the light went off about 4 days later, so I figured the computer had sorted the problem out.

Next I thought it had to deal with the humidity, becasue in KS, it gets very humid. On really hot, humid days it would turn on, and on the cooler ones it would go off.

Now it's been on for about 2 weeks straight and I'm starting to get worried. It may be that the 02 elims arn't doing their job, or the pipes are swelling with the weather (although I'd doubt it because it's been in the 70s lately and it's still on)

So now I have no choice but to get it scanned. Hopefully it's because of the front end damage and will be comp'd by the insurance *fingers crossed*

I know a guy named dan who built a 9.05 second 03 cobra without touching the internals, so I figured he knows what he's talking about. He said when the light is on the computer tends to pull around 50 HORSEPOWER from the motor. That would explain the half second loss :lame:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
damn fifty HP :eek: :eek: yea I would say thats going to cost you some et :D, good luck with the problem, hope for a quick easy fix :thumb:

OP
OP

96SVTCobra

Reaction score
Front 02 sensor!

I bought one, but at $70 a pop, I unplugged my battery about 20 minutes ago and if that resets teh computer and it has no errors, I'll wait to put it in!

OP
OP

96SVTCobra

Reaction score
since it was just an 02 sensor, a buddy of mine told me just to leave the battery unhooked for about 30 minutes to 2 hours. I left it unhooked for 3 hours, and low and behold the light turned off and the cobra seems to be back to it's normal speed! So I guess next time it comes on, I'll just unhook the battery again until I get sick of doing it, then I'll replace the sensor :dancing6: $70 credit back to me!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online