Disassemled my t-45 pics inside

Mesarina

Reaction score
Hello, im a newbie posting here.. it has questions too, so i don't know i this thread goes here, but nobody is perferct O0 im bullitt66 form svtperformance and this is my first post lol..

I didn't found a lot of info for the t-45, but my trans broke someting, i was able to put the shifter in 1rst, and the trans was in 1rst to, changed the shifter to 2nd or neutral and the trans would still be in 1rs, So i took out the trans from the car myself and opened it with my friends, i found it was the gear shift plate that broke, what was the reason? :shrug: someone here may know i hope, now im looking to upgrade it because i already disassembled it all, do you guys know if any hanlon kit cames with that shifter plate? maybe red98cobrastang knows..
what kit should i get now so it can build an upgraded t-45 tha i won't have to worry for some time?.. i know ill need steel shift forks, what more would you recomend??

the good thing is i did it myself with my friends and learned as always, here are the pics of the progress..

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00182.jpg

DSC00178.jpg

First we took out the bolts of the tailhousing, you'll need to punch a pin that sits where the shifter goes, so you can remove the tailhousing, then it should look like this..

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

Then remove the bellhousing and you can see the shiter plate broke if you pay attention or if you know the t-45.. i should be like two little "U", but since one broke, thats why i was able to move the shifter, but not the shift forks..

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

This is the piece that broke, i found someone on stangnet posted that too, but the only reply was "check out d&dmotorsports :(

IMG_0262.jpg

Starting from the back, we took the bushing out, and the c-clips we found on the road

IMG_0263.jpg

Tought that was the problem, Japan Bearings :pepper:

IMG_0265.jpg

Since we don't have all the tools, we like to improve, those parts were not born there.. lol

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

Now, we go to the front..

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

As always, the last screw was a PITA, aluminum + a steel screw gets real tight as time passes..

DSC00183.jpg

We used a torx and we broke it, then we used an air gun, and broke the torx before the screw could move.. it was about 250lb/ft (like 3-4 hondas) and it didn't move. So i learend that if you heat the aluminum, and then use a little wd-40 on the screw, it won't be tight anymore.. it was real cool to see this..

DSC00179.jpg

DSC00180.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

DSC00182.jpg

Then, would need a press to take this gear out, but a little hammer did the work..

DSC00184.jpg

DSC00185.jpg

DSC00186.jpg

DSC00187.jpg

DSC00189.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

DSC00193.jpg

thanks pomoforacing for this pdf to disassemble the t-45

http://pomoforacing.com/tech/PreliminaryT45rebuild.pdf

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
damn, now to just get it back together. it's always easier to take something like that apart to me

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Wow I wish I had seen this sooner! I already tore apart the T45 in the 97 GT I used to have. Lets just say a new set of synchros, bearings and seals makes one heck of a difference.

Nice writeup!!!

Purple97GT

Reaction score
Awesome! I need one of these "how to" threads for the Tremec 3550/TKO!

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
Goindeafonmtx said:
Why do the front subframes look so tattered?

i was wondering the same thing. when i bought mine, it was like that as well. i know a jack wont hurt them that bad so i dunno.

voidfinger

Reaction score
wow those things are the factory frame rails........ looks like a high speed bottoming out on a R.R. crossing that was just super hard on it... i don't know. But this helps me a little b/c i want to rebuild a t45 but don't want to pay for it being done lol.

smasher41

Reaction score
were you able to just unbolt the front of the bellhousing to get the the input shaft?

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
smasher41 said:
were you able to just unbolt the front of the bellhousing to get the the input shaft?

yeah, once you remove the transmission from the car, the bell housing is easy as pie to remove. just unbolt it from the rest of the case via the bolts that you have to access from the inside of the bellhousing. you use a screw driver to seperate it from the rest of the case (it has RTV from the factory). the input shaft just comes off, but becareful of the bearing races and shims that may pop off. they go on the bellhousing.

OP
OP
M

Mesarina

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
wow , guess this guy isn't comeing back lol.

Im back :D

the t-45 with the rebuild works great... no more grinding in 2nd while cold... i just need to find pictures of it while we were assembling it.. lol

voidfinger

Reaction score
Mesarina said:
voidfinger said:

the t-45 with the rebuild works great... no more grinding in 2nd while cold... i just need to find pictures of it while we were assembling it.. lol

cool, i gotta rebuild one and i've gotten quotes from a couple people and shops and they are like 800 to 1200 for a rebuild !!! they all said that they were exstreamly hard to work on compaired to other manuals....

OP
OP
M

Mesarina

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
Mesarina said:
voidfinger said:

you just need the right tools.. :santa_afro:

cool, i gotta rebuild one and i've gotten quotes from a couple people and shops and they are like 800 to 1200 for a rebuild !!! they all said that they were exstreamly hard to work on compaired to other manuals....

95blackgt54

Reaction score
t45's are easy to work on!

Just 2 special tools needed 1-a set of eaton style lock ring plyers. Can be picked up at O'reillys
2- a press to get the main cluster out.

here are a couple of tranny and parts pics of what I have made to beef up the t45's

The fork you see is a CNC Billet Aircraft quality T-6061(LOL) 3-4 gear fork and is prone to breaking from 2 reasons. 1- junky shifters over throwing and 2- the fork is very weak. Also the shift fork selector links that rest in the forks have a ton of stress cracks. Relieving those cracks will improve life.
All in all the t45's are a good tranny and do hold up to some HP. There are a couple of more tricks to improving it's life, It's the shifting assy. that sucks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

voidfinger

Reaction score
so you think i could rebuild one myself? Just wondering. B/C i'm going to keep the auto but i got a t45 that is shaving the forks so i was going to rebuild it and sell it or something. Or does anyone want one to rebuild? I'll sell it for what i got in it.

95blackgt54

Reaction score
Mesarina said:
are those improved shift fork selector links???

Not much to improve on those, but relieving the stress. It would be very costly to make them compared to just improving what you have.

It is simple to do. Polishing the whole link and radius the corners. Any time a sharp edge or corner is in steel, stress is there. Radius relieve!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell