Ditching the push/pull headlight knob

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yay, more weird and off the wall mods for the Yellow Cobra lol. I've been wanting to do this mod since I had my '98 GT back in 2009. The detents between parking light and headlight wear out. Plus the design is dated and isn't helping the interior look any more modern.

So, in steps another OEM manufacture with a small headlight knob that will fit in our SN95s. The one I have is a VW part # "5KD 941 431 A" and I chose it because it has no automatic function and a rear fog function. I require the rear fog function because I'm living in the UK. I got the switch from ECS Tuning for $50 [ LINK HERE ]

Here are some photos with the Cobra.

image4.jpeg

image3.jpeg

First hurdle to tackle is the back lighting in the switch is red and as we all know Ford used a green lighting scheme. So, I've cracked open the switch to verify what LEDs are on the board so I can order them and swap them out.

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image-2.jpeg

I'll keep the thread updated as I go. What do you guys think?

1slow50

Reaction score
anything has to be better then the pull out switch that they used for like 20 years. I have a 95 gt and it has the same interior as my buddies 03 cobra, REALLY y would they keep it same??? change it up a lil bit

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
That's an awesome idea! That VW piece looks like it will look clean in the dash. Make sure to update this thread! Definitely going to follow this.

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to this! But wtf is a rear fog light? Why are they required?

It's a bright red light on the rear of the car separate from you brake/tail lights. You will see the red glow through the fog long before you'll see the car. It's UK law to have one. I have a thread about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Wonder if there is a ford one that could be a close replacement.. like the later suv's

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think this is a sweet idea, i briefly thought about doing this with a newer style ford switch but wasn't sure how to make it work. I'm interested to see how it comes out.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Also curious how you will mount it? If you had the part it slit into it would not be too had too cut/glue it in place and smooth everything out but with out it good luck...

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You always come up with the coolest ideas Jeremy. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

Walking Tall

Reaction score
Should be really cool! Mine keeps falling off and it makes me mad. Can't wait to see it.

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also curious how you will mount it? If you had the part it slit into it would not be too had too cut/glue it in place and smooth everything out but with out it good luck...

I know desoldering and resoldering the LEDs is going to suck haha.

I was going to mount it with a piece of PVC and some brackets. It will be hard mounted to the dash structure just like the current switch. The instrument cluster surround will just require a hole to be cut in it for the switch to protrude through.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like the switch in my wifes Escape minus the rear fog thingy.

I see a lot of the euro cars on the road here particularly Volvo and Saab with the one extra bright rear light that really does stand out in bad driving conditions.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You must really have nothing to do over there... haha kidding kidding, its a sweet idea! I was thinking about something like this myself for my 67. I'm wanting to put a push-button start in it, the heater I've got planned has a sweet little control panel and the headlight switch would be the only "old" part left. Wonder if I could find one much smaller to fit on the 67 dash without being too obtrusive...

Can't wait to see the final result.

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the switch back from a guy who works on circuit boards. I had him swap the red LED's for yellow-green ones. Apologies for the shit pic quality lol

10617331_10202552074511714_1059255379_n.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online