Ditching the push/pull headlight knob

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Can't wait to see this mounted.. I've tossed the idea around of shaving the hole for the current knob and mounting a switch next to the ac vent which is the same area the s197's have it

Promodmerc67

Reaction score
Weird. My 97 Cougar had a dial for the headlights. Earlier years had the push/pull switch. Seeing Ford favored the Mustang over the Cougar's & T-Birds you would have thought they got the more updated equipment.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty sure you could have used a switch from a newer focus.

Cool mod, not for me though. I love the pull switch, I hate use the switch you're changing too.

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure you could have used a switch from a newer focus.

Cool mod, not for me though. I love the pull switch, I hate use the switch you're changing too.

Didn't even think about a European Ford, oh well :)

Awesome dude. Whats next?

Mounting and wiring :)

What are you going to do about the dash light dimmer adjustment function?

I'm going to put a multimeter to the stock dimmer and see what kind of range it has, then try and find one similar in a junk yard. I might mount it on the bezel just below the switch. I'm not sure yet. I leave mine on the brightest setting all the time, so I really didn't think of the dimmer until kinda late lol. The SVT cluster isn't that bright even on its brightest setting.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The function in the switch that does the dimming is just a variable resistor which is called a potentiometer. You can get these at radio shack and replace the lost function to move it where ever you want too.

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
The function in the switch that does the dimming is just a variable resistor which is called a potentiometer. You can get these at radio shack and replace the lost function to move it where ever you want too.

Potentiometers are measured in ohms of resistance, right? I just need to know the range of the stock one. If I decide on a visible solution, instead of a hidden one, I will want it to look oem. That's why I mentioned the junk yard.

lutter94

Reaction score
Potentiometers are measured in ohms of resistance, right? I just need to know the range of the stock one. If I decide on a visible solution, instead of a hidden one, I will want it to look oem. That's why I mentioned the junk yard.

you are correct

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
image-6.jpg

I used a hacksaw blade to cut two grooves down into the inner surface of the PVC. They correspond with the switch to align it. There are also two retractable tabs on the switch to hold it in place. That's why you can see a hole down the side of the PVC. It allows the switch to be removed and unplugged if I ever need it.

Just have to cut the pipe down and mount it as well as all the wiring.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
measured in ohms as well as by how they attenuate the signal. If I remember correctly linear meaning it increases the same amount for each degree its turned and exponential meaning it starts out slowly and then increases quickly. I would guess its linear but its just a guess.

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Life got in the way for a little bit. Had thumb surgery, grands came to the UK to visit, parents came to the UK to visit, got married, went home to the USA, had thumb surgery again and now here we are lol. I got the hole cut out and the dash trimmed back for the switch. Should be mounting and wiring it up before the end of the month!

BWxQIKc.jpg

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I like it!

I haven't driven my SN in a few years so it is going to be strange playing with the headlight knob since I am used to our escape and sienna which are like what you have done.

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
hard to find a flat section anywhere in this car to mount something else flat.

I'm thinking about building up a contour below the switch with some bondo and working the shape with some sandpaper(trying to make it look like ford put it there). The whole gauge surround is getting covered in Alcantara when I'm done.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Looks nice, great idea. I love stuff like that. Like you, I'm not really a fan of the current light switch. Looking forward to the progress! For around the switch, if you didn't want to do all the bondo stuff, you could get a trim ring made, maybe in aluminum. Leave it bare if you are into that, or paint it black to blend?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online