Do adjustable shocks/struts work well? Ride too stiff with Tokico blues...

kenny150r

Reaction score
Hey! I have H&R super sport springs; the car handles like its on rails. However, where I live, the roads aren't exactly smooth so the ride quality is terrible. Way too stiff. Is this a problem that can be fixed by changing shocks/struts, or are the springs mostly stiffening up the ride?

How are adjustable shocks/struts and is there a really noticeable difference in between settings?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
With my tokico adjustable there's a bit of s difference if you're actually pushing it. For normal street driving I haven't noticed much.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
On my car there is a HUGE difference. I usually have them on 3 when the car is raised up and the rise is smooth as butter. When slammed, I turn them up to 8-10 to prevent bottoming out and rubbing. However the way my suspension is setup at that height the ride is very very stiff. I feel everything. But you gotta pay to play so it's whateva feelin good living betta.

Oh & that's on Strange 10-way adjustables with 300# springs up front. Still rocking the Tokicos HPs out back with weight jackers.

OP
OP
K

kenny150r

Reaction score
I wish I could do airbags... LOL I just wish there was an easy way to switch from a "comfort" mode to a more stiff, sportier mode. Maybe I need a Mercedes... :(

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
With the strange 10 ways it's super easy you can change all 4 corners in like 40 seconds

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have Koni red single adjustables. They use just an allen wrench in the top of the strut or shock. The struts are super easy (just pop the hood). The shocks are a little tougher because you have to climb in the trunk.
With a 360* turn and they're super stiff to the point where you can't stand to drive over seams in the road. I drive with them on soft as a daily until I feel like carving the mountain roads.

OP
OP
K

kenny150r

Reaction score
Alright sweet! I didn't know if it was more the springs or the struts/shocks that made the ride so stiff... Hoping a quick shock/strut change can soften it right up! Although urethane bushings might be making it a lot more stiff...

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
It could just be the springs and struts aren't a good match too, I had H&R SS with Tokico Illuminas and i didn't even adjust em much but it seemed to ride pretty well.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
H&R super sports are too stiff for your application, you need to change them if you want a better ride. Refer to this chart of coil spring rates made by [MENTION=10532]MadStang[/MENTION]. If you're worried about ride quality, go with something like the the H&R sports or even a lower rate.

However if you want your car to handle *correctly* you need to do a lot more than just pick a random coil spring...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online