Do I have a Speedo cable? Or Sensor?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
‘95 Cobra SVT, T5 manual gearbox.

I initially suspected I’d need a replacement speedometer cable but after a bit of poking around, I’m getting information that my year (94-95) doesn’t have one, just a speedometer sensor and connector?
Can anyone confirm/deny this information?

Many thanks!!

Reaction score
what exactly is the issue? cause there can be issues with sensors in the transmission or it could be the gauges themselves which have a little gear that fails

Reaction score
I believe all 79+ manuals have sensors, but i could be mistaken. If a new sensor doesnt fix the issue i would look at the physical wires/fuses next. The sensors are relatively cheap

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I confirmed with “my guy” @ NAPA that it’s electronic; no speedometer cable

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If your speedo is not working check the connection at the trans, at the passenger side fire wall where the main is. Also look for a fuse or relay that may be blown. I had this happen on a 98. Found a bad wire and a sticky speedo

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Speed sensor and pigtail installed. No change: Speedo and Odo still don’t work.
I will follow Randall’s suggestions and check Speedo gear at the transmission point, fuses, etc. This may take longer than I want it to as I’m still nursing a bad right shoulder. Bear with me… and as always, THANKS EVERYONE!!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Randall,
Thanks for the checklist! Very helpful. And not to second guess, but isn’t the main fuse box on the drive side? I’m only asking in advance because getting wedged down in there to check (with my torn rotator cuff) is something I only want to do once!
Thanks!!

P.S.- are there more pics of your car? Would like to check it out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online