Do i have NPI or PI heads?

smasher41

Reaction score
I have had the car for a little while now, and It came with all the "bolt on" upgrades already, so i decided to doa headswap.
well after ordering Pi heads, and getting a PI intake manifold, i found somthing out today......

I have a PI intake manifold installed on my car!!! (plastic FORD PI crossover though)

Looking closer, the area where the head gaskets, bolts for the valve covers, and everyhting invlolved in the PI head swap appears to be newer looking than other parts in the engine bay.

Is there any way to visually determine if my heads are PI or NPI by the outside of the engine? I'd hate to drop $300 on labor and $500 on parts to put somthing i already have in LOL

thanks a ton guys!

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
one stupid way to find out is to find a 99 or later GT andrace him.
if you stay with him/her then yes you have the swap.
if you dont get raped then you probally just have the intake.
if you get raped, your all NPI.
or just look at the casting numbers and be smart. :D

4point6GT

Reaction score
findin a 99 newer gt and racing sounds just about right O0

OP
OP
S

smasher41

Reaction score
where are the casting number on the heads?
I didnt see any?

thanks.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
ewww...now that i dont know....
its on one of the ends if i remember right but im not totally sure....

Adam

Reaction score
You can still have a NPI intake with the aluminum crossover on the front. The PI heads have "PI" either stamped into the rear of them or on the white sticker on them. Usually towards the rear between cylinder 3-4 on the pass or 7-8 on the drivers.

OP
OP
S

smasher41

Reaction score
Adam said:
You can still have a NPI intake with the aluminum crossover on the front. The PI heads have "PI" either stamped into the rear of them or on the white sticker on them. Usually towards the rear between cylinder 3-4 on the pass or 7-8 on the drivers.

is this stamped metal on the inside ( under the intake manifold) or on the outside ( by the headers?)

the Intake is a confirmed PI, but it does NOT have the aluminum crossover. i was a bit suspicious when i saw that the 2nd collent sensor was installed on the thermostat cap/tube, and not on the manifold itself. Further inspection shows the runner is offset to the side for the coolent( required for taller PI intake), and not down the center like the NPI runner uses.

But the PI intake i got today does have the AL crossover :)

W

WODY281

I'm not sure on all the years, but I know on my P.I. heads the oil cap is on the passenger side instead of on the drivers side. You can check that and it should tell ya for sure. Also I think the P.I. heads have more bolt holes in the valve covers than the non P.I.. Not sure how many though maybe some one else will.

OP
OP
S

smasher41

Reaction score
WODY281 said:
I'm not sure on all the years, but I know on my P.I. heads the oil cap is on the passenger side instead of on the drivers side. You can check that and it should tell ya for sure. Also I think the P.I. heads have more bolt holes in the valve covers than the non P.I.. Not sure how many though maybe some one else will.

WODY, the number of bolts on the valve covers tells if it is a windsor or romeo engine.

ill look into the oil cap thing, it may be jsut the difference in manufacturer though.

W

WODY281

Yeah but isn't all windsor engines P.I.'s? (Not sure so don't hold me to it.) But I do remember on mine if you take the valve cover off it will be stamped P.I. on the head. So if nothing else you know you can figure it out that way!

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
1996mustangGT said:

This doesn't work I tried this with my Saleen and I still dont know. Is there away without removing the valve covers.

OP
OP
S

smasher41

Reaction score
found number codes, but there is an II under the ford number, not PI

my PI heads and cams came in today anyways. once i get the valve cover off ill know if i procede with install or not :)

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
1996mustangGT said:

I've raced an '03 GT w/ catted H and flows and didn't get raped, in fact I hung with him and if I hadn't bogged first I probably would've stayed bumper to bumper with him. I'm NPI!

ripper

Reaction score
My pi motor has the oil fill on the drivers side so that wont help. Ill go outside and see if i can find some numbers for ya.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online