Do I have the PI swap?

JD98GT

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've been researching the PI head-swap to do on my 98GT for a while now and after some inspection wonder if I already have it? I bought my GT from a used dealer so not sure what is done to it.

I have 2 questions: First do I have the PI intake? As you can see in the pic I have the aluminum cross-over. Can you put the cross-over on a non-PI intake or if you have the cross-over does that mean you have to have the PI intake as well?

2nd, do I have the PI heads? I've looked at a couple different install pics on the internet for step-by-step instructions to install the heads and noticed that before they did the swap the non-PI heads don’t have the checker pattern on the runner to the front of the engine, but when they put on the PI-heads the PI-heads have the checker pattern. As you can see from the pic my heads have the checker pattern. Is this just a coincidence and the checker pattern doesn't mean anything or does that mean I have the PI-heads?

Or is there any other way to tell if I have PI heads/intake without tearing down? :dunno:

Thanks, JD

2gxi72a.jpg

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There are NPI intakes with the aluminum X-over so thats not a 100% accurate way to tell.

Take a look at the first intake runner after the aluminum X-over...
if it goes to the right (drivers side) then you have a PI intake
if it goes to the left (passenger side) its NPI

hard to tell the heads on the car with the intake on.

OP
OP
J

JD98GT

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
There are NPI intakes with the aluminum X-over so thats not a 100% accurate way to tell.

Take a look at the first intake runner after the aluminum X-over...
if it goes to the right (drivers side) then you have a PI intake
if it goes to the left (passenger side) its NPI

hard to tell the heads on the car with the intake on.

Ok, so I have a PI intake then?

Thanks, JD.

401kmzd.jpg

Olstangguy

Reaction score
You have an upgraded NPI intake with aluminum crossover. The original plastic crossovers had a nasty habit of cracking. Your first runner goes to the passenger side. Welcome to sn95 forums.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah its just an updated NPI...look at your first intake runner, it goes to the passenger side. Good thing is if/when you do get a PI intake you can swap the aluminum crossover from the NPI to the PI and not have to worry about drilling and tapping the new one for the 2nd sensor.

OP
OP
J

JD98GT

Reaction score
Olstangguy said:
You have an upgraded NPI intake with aluminum crossover. The original plastic crossovers had a nasty habit of cracking. Your first runner goes to the passenger side. Welcome to sn95 forums.

DropTopPony said:
Yeah its just an updated NPI...look at your first intake runner, it goes to the passenger side. Good thing is if/when you do get a PI intake you can swap the aluminum crossover from the NPI to the PI and not have to worry about drilling and tapping the new one for the 2nd sensor.

Cool, thanks to both of you.

JD

wht46gt

Reaction score
yeah ive gone thrugh like 3 of the old npi intakes and then decided to get the updated one def. alot better, but are there any performance gains with the updated intake or is it just the same but with an aluminum crossover

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online