Do i need a new A/C compressor? Or just new clutch?

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ok i bought the car with the AC not working. The thing in the front that kind of looks like a circle with a triangle in the inside wasnt installed before PO said when installed it would smoke. So i just left it off, and it still worked somewhat, not like ice cold (because i never tried it) but it did blow colder air. So fast forward to yesterday, I started my car and nothing was wrong. Then when i toook off, boom it started weird, loss power, and smoke and smell. So I checked and....... The pulley came about half way off and the belt came off the pulley and around the black circular part of the compressor. and the smoke and smell was coming from the belt rubbing against the compressor. So, my question, do i need to replace the whole compressor? or do i just replaced the bearing/clutch assembly? ill take pictures tomorrow if you want to see it.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
With as old as these cars are, compressors are a dime a dozen. Mine was even given to me. That being said, I'd recommend just replacing the unit and calling it a day. I had mine replaced in 10min (my freon was already dumped into the ozone last year, arrest me)

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
The Freon is the biggest thing. Obviously, if you replace the compressor then the Freon will need to be recovered then recharged after replacement.
If your system is full I would look into just replacing the clutch.
If empty replace the whole thing. and don't forget the orifice filter while the system is open too.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
is there a kit i can rent or something to let me know how much freon is left? or anyway to check? I am just started working on my cars (i am 20) so i dont hav tons of experience, especially with HVAC.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
You can get a DIY Freon charging kit from the parts house. it will come with a gauge on it to tell you how much Freon is in it and when to stop when filling.

iamtheshaner

Reaction score
You can get a DIY Freon charging kit from the parts house. it will come with a gauge on it to tell you how much Freon is in it and when to stop when filling.

Please DON'T use the stuff at the parts store. It has leak sealant and other garbage which is not only harmful for your system (especially the new compressor) but it will also contaminate any poor schmuck's equipment who services your system in the future.

Did you lose any refrigerant when the pulley/clutch let go? You'd know.....there should be oil and dye everywhere.....

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Please DON'T use the stuff at the parts store. It has leak sealant and other garbage which is not only harmful for your system (especially the new compressor) but it will also contaminate any poor schmuck's equipment who services your system in the future.

Did you lose any refrigerant when the pulley/clutch let go? You'd know.....there should be oil and dye everywhere.....
nothing on the floor or around. But i dont know if the PO drained it.

iamtheshaner

Reaction score
Best to just have a pro recover/leak test/recharge. I suppose you could vent the system to the atmosphere and just charge it with pure 134a from a parts store but the best thing to do is have someone recover whatever is in there (hopefully they test it for contaminants and sealants). Then they will suck it down for about 15 to 30 minutes to see if it leaks, then they can charge it with the correct amount of unadulterated refrigerant.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
awesome. I think im just going to get a new unit, from oreillys or something and have it charged

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online