Do I need an oil separator?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have my HIDs there now on the drivers side, might follow your lead on the pass side. But yes pics please.

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heres a few pics that I took for someone on another forum. Theyre not the best because the car is on the ground, but you can see the idea:

Coming out of the drivers side valve cover...

Coming out of the passenger side valve covers...

I have the two hoses routed to the passenger side frame rail under the cold air intake tube. I installed a Y fitting that runs the two separate hoses into one, and I have the single hose ran under the frame rail, behind the fender liner, and over to the catch can....

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
^ Thats a super clean install man. Only question I have, is memory serves me right the driver side cover currently runs to a bung on my power pipe, while the intake hose is running to the passenger side valve cover. If thats the case and you ran one line from each valve cover to the catch can, what did you do with the intake manifold port? I don't think you are supercharged so I doubt you had the power pipe bung/hose issue...Other than that those lines and fittings look killer.

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks man! I had a hose coming off of my cold air intake tube that ran to the drivers side valve cover, and a hose that ran from the passenger side valve cover to the intake plenum. I capped the fitting in my cold air intake tube, and installed an NPT plug in the intake plenum.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was assuming all the vac ports that are after the blower would need to be plugged or it will be venting your boost either to atmosphere or into your valve covers if its all hooked up and that isn't good. He said that I/we need to get the vac port now before the blower or he even mentioned getting a small vac pump to create the vac we need. At least I hope I am not F'n up what [MENTION=12700]rz5.0[/MENTION] has just learned me...

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
my 95 runs a similar set up to this
Heres a few pics that I took for someone on another forum. Theyre not the best because the car is on the ground, but you can see the idea:

Coming out of the drivers side valve cover...

Coming out of the passenger side valve covers...

I have the two hoses routed to the passenger side frame rail under the cold air intake tube. I installed a Y fitting that runs the two separate hoses into one, and I have the single hose ran under the frame rail, behind the fender liner, and over to the catch can....

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks man! I had a hose coming off of my cold air intake tube that ran to the drivers side valve cover, and a hose that ran from the passenger side valve cover to the intake plenum. I capped the fitting in my cold air intake tube, and installed an NPT plug in the intake plenum.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. So just to make sure I understand this correctly, I'm going to plug the bung on my power pipe and cap the port on my plenum. Run a line from each valve cover to each side of the catch can. Sounds fairly simple if thats correct.
Do you know the model # to that catch can you are running or have any links? And what about those fittings/braided lines...summit/jegs?

Edit, looks like this is the unit however it has two bungs, so no need for the Y into a single line:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/moroso-breather-tank.html

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Its funny, this type of mod/subject will get you 5 different answers when asking questions when you search past posts on all forums

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
This is a non ending discussion. . Trial and error. . I like the simplicity of open breather. But it's a known fact that it will work better with some vacuum at the crank case. .

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
This is a non ending discussion. . Trial and error. . I like the simplicity of open breather. But it's a known fact that it will work better with some vacuum at the crank case. .

Thats what it seems like. Thanks for all your help

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
One other thing I thought of, aren't the valve covers currently a rubber grommet and push on connector? how are you connecting with those fittings in its place? Sorry I'm not at my car now to check it out

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Yes they are. Fortunately the 5.0 is not that way. I still haven't got around to the 4.6.. on the 5.0 I got a fitting welded on. When I get started on the 98 I'll have to figure something out..

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Yes they are. Fortunately the 5.0 is not that way. I still haven't got around to the 4.6.. on the 5.0 I got a fitting welded on. When I get started on the 98 I'll have to figure something out..

hmmm i thought so. Hopefully 03dsgt can share his secret. He has some nice fittings on there

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive looked at a few different catch can setups, and I was going to run the two fitting cans, but since I have the can in a pretty confined area, it was easier to run one single hose into the can. If I had a two fitting can, I would have had to run two lines around to each side of the can, and since Im right up against the core support, it would have been harder to do.
As for the fittings, I have the aluminum Trick Flow valve covers, so the drivers side cover is threaded, which was no problem for getting a fitting and screwing it in. However, the passenger side cover just has a grommet, so I found an AN fitting that is 90* with a hose barb for the valve cover side and a -10 male fitting on the other. So far it seems OK as far as leaking goes, but Im N/A...you blown guys may need more than just a push in attachment method. If it starts leaking, Ill take my valve cover to work and weld on an AN fitting to the valve cover to solve the issue...

P.S. All of my hoses/fittings/catch can is from Summit. I live right around the corner from them so that makes life simple...:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Staff online

Members online