Do I need an oil separator?

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Took the car out yesterday to a meet up and finally put some miles on this car. When cleaning it up, I started noticing there is beginning to be some oil buildup on the Plenum to Manifold gasket. Is this usually an indicator that I should maybe start looking into an oil separator setup and that this could possibly be some oil blow by from the blower?

TanTop94

Reaction score
I'd get one, all it can do is help catch some of the oil before it builds up there.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I've been doing some research and I'm pretty sure that is the cause of this buildup. I like the JLT piece and will probably give that one a shot.

wera44

Reaction score
I have the Moroso unit on the car I just bought and it looks like a quality piece.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Highly likely caused by blow-by from adding the blower.
Highly suggest adding the can.
You can make your own with basic supplies available at home-depot, or you can go aftermarket...

I run one from lightning force performance.... does what its supposed to do. lol. no complaints.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
thanks for the responses guys. Its tough on a setup with tons of blower/meth lines finding even more room for stuff like this lol

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one on my N/A setup. After upping the compression on my other motor, I was getting quite a bit of buildup in my cold air intake tube and through the plenum down into the intake manifold. I ended up running hoses from both valve covers into a vented Moroso catch can in the wheel well...

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I have one on my N/A setup. After upping the compression on my other motor, I was getting quite a bit of buildup in my cold air intake tube and through the plenum down into the intake manifold. I ended up running hoses from both valve covers into a vented Moroso catch can in the wheel well...

I was contemplating mounting it in the fender well as well. Good stuff

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
I need one but where I am not street driving, ill prob just vent it out to atmosphere

410sn95

Reaction score
Fender location in our cars works out nicely.

I used a GZ can, ran -10 lines from both valve covers to the passenger side fender well where the cruise control used to be. Even used the cruise control bracket to mount the can.

If mounting inner fender, fab up a drain line with a petcock. Makes for easy draining without pulling wheel and fender liner ;)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am about to add one to go with the vortech I added to my build. Not sure where I want to mount it yet. Anyone have any pics of how they mounted theirs?

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, do any of you guys happen to have any pictures of your setup? I was reading the install write-ups on both the Moroso unit and the JLT unit. The moroso runs the separator from the passenger side, while the JLT runs it from the driver side. The moroso also shows the separator being mounted to the left of the power steering tank, and our cars have the coil pack there so obviously that won't work.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
thanks for the link, didn't even see that you have this started already. Read through it all and that's definitely a bit more helpful.

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran the Moroso setup that is made for our cars. It helped, but I still had oil in the intake since that setup still runs the line back to the engine. So I scratched that and threw it on the shelf. I made more of a custom setup with AN lines and a vented Moroso can that dumps into the fender so no oil can get back into the engine...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can't remember if I got mine from ebay or amazon. It can go sealed or vented just need to figure out where it will go.

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mounted mine to the back of the crash bar on the passenger side. I have it so the drain petcock is just above the bottom of the front bumper, so I can just reach up and drain it without having to jack up the car or get under it...

TanTop94

Reaction score
I mounted mine to the back of the crash bar on the passenger side. I have it so the drain petcock is just above the bottom of the front bumper, so I can just reach up and drain it without having to jack up the car or get under it...

Pics of your set up? Im having similar problems on my Dads foxbody and got a catch can to fix it but it sounds like its only a band aid if it isnt run the same as yours.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online