Do it yourself port work

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i thought of picking up a do it yourself kit but after talking to alot of guys in the industry i decided to pay for the work. The 4.6 heads are supposed to be more difficult to P&P...its more about where you remove material as opposed to how much material you remove. It also helps to have a flow bench at your disposal. you can pick up a cheap set of heads to practice on then maybe find a shop and flow test them to see how you did.

Stangbangin

Reaction score
yea 5.0 heads aren't to bad to port. Especially if your just cleaning up the sharp edges and things.

Boomer!

Reaction score
The workings shown in the pics a remeadial, taking on portwork is a science more than a art. To anyone who wishes to learn porting I suggest studying fluid flow dynamics. I will not say I am the god but the 1000's of hours of reading and studying have taught me a thing or two. There are some really odd things that can be done to a P.I modular head that most would look at and say this guy is a hack, they work. As always a flow bench is a great tool, not as great as knowledge of what makes thing correct.

94kingcbra

Reaction score
I have done some porting myself. It can take weeks! It is important to measure the ports, and the combustion chamber before and after. You do this by sealing them off with grease and plexi glass, the take a gradulated cylinder filled with a predetermined ammount of water. Pour it into the port through a hole in the plexi glass, very carefully without spilling. Then subtract whats left in the gradulated cylinder from what you started with. This coupled with flow numbers, can allow you to get a very good end product. This is a way to get the ports close to the same size. It is VERY tedious...I am gonna do my stock cobra heads out in the garage when I get the chance. If you have access to a flow bench, you can actually see your results. Using a flowbench is also very tedious, and like a science experiment. Fun though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online