Do you ever just get bored of your car, or cars in general?

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
For some time now I've been really bored with my car or just cars in general. Having a hard time getting back into the game. I haven't spent a dime on my car in a long while. I drive it once a week. I think ever since I bought a DD about a year and a half ago I started losing interest. Also, I've been discouraged by having B heads instead of C heads.

I feel I'd rather spend my money on something else other than cars, but at the same time I have NOTHING to spend it on lol. I was going to do long tubes but I'm gonna have to spend about a grand and I have a hard time swallowing that pill. But at the same time I really want to hit 300whp +/- 5whp.

Really wish I had a 5.0 pushrod Cobra, everything is much cheaper. The high cost of parts for the 4.6 dohc is disturbing. I've thought about selling my car and getting a fox or 5.0 SN95 but most likely a GT. Only thing is I'd have to redo the suspension again, mpg would be worse, and spend a couple thousand just to get it as fast as my car is already.

How do you get un-bored?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think the key to not being bored in your mustang is to make sure your other car you drive is the epitome of boring. I drive my mustang about 1-3 times a month and when I do I get all excited. Driving a big, ugly minivan everyday is convenient in getting me places with decent MPG and it sure as hell keeps me interested in my other car. I may lose interest in driving every once in a while but building/working on them is something I will probably never lose interest in. If I had the means, I would buy a cheap project 240sx or subaru and let it sit in my garage for years until I've built it from the ground up how I want. I wouldn't even worry about making it driveable because that's not what I want it for... I just love working on these things. Basically what I'm trying to say is working on cars > driving them.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
For some time now I've been really bored with my car or just cars in general. Having a hard time getting back into the game. I haven't spent a dime on my car in a long while. I drive it once a week. I think ever since I bought a DD about a year and a half ago I started losing interest. Also, I've been discouraged by having B heads instead of C heads.

I feel I'd rather spend my money on something else other than cars, but at the same time I have NOTHING to spend it on lol. I was going to do long tubes but I'm gonna have to spend about a grand and I have a hard time swallowing that pill. But at the same time I really want to hit 300whp +/- 5whp.

Really wish I had a 5.0 pushrod Cobra, everything is much cheaper. The high cost of parts for the 4.6 dohc is disturbing. I've thought about selling my car and getting a fox or 5.0 SN95 but most likely a GT. Only thing is I'd have to redo the suspension again, mpg would be worse, and spend a couple thousand just to get it as fast as my car is already.

How do you get un-bored?

Hmmm I have something that might fancy your interest :)

It's not easy to find a clean 5.0 anymore. I've done all the suspension mods too. Mpg is surprisingly good. I got 24 hwy on my last trip for work.

84b1f44ae0cba46e5efcde9438f2c373.jpg

To the topic though. We all get bored of our cars. Do little things it helps you feel like you did something major. Like umm say you have a door cup that is all worn out. Get a new one 25 bucks and you'll be so happy.

Like they say you have to walk before you can run :)

Burninrock24

Reaction score
I feel I'd rather spend my money on something else other than cars, but at the same time I have NOTHING to spend it on lol.

Fcking truth right there.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I always need a project to be building and buying for. I get bored with cars typically during the winter when mine is in storage and I only really drive to get from A to B. Once spring and summer roll around I get the bug again though.

The thing with what you said about the 5.0 Cobra though, is that you gotta find something about your car that you can work on, but NOT buy. Buying is easy, but craftsmanship and creativity take time, skill and talent. And with those, come books at the library to learn something, trips to lowes and harbor freight for tools, lots of brain storming and such.

If you set out and say, I want to build a 400hp 5.0. It's easy. You literally buy parts like a recipe and then once you're done, you're here making a for sale thread because you're bored again.

But you see the people here that aren't bored with their cars, they're doing DIY splitters, tail lights, spoilers, panhard bars, body modifications, hand-porting, crossbreeding 2vs with 4vs and 3vs, stuff like that. And they aren't getting bored because the PROCESS of building the car into what they want is a lot of the fun, and the stuff they do takes a lot of time and creativity.

Sending a block and heads to a machine shop and ordering your internals from summit is like ordering from a good restaurant. Finding something new and fun to do with your car is like grilling out in the backyard and enjoying the beer while you wait.

Sorry for the rant, just my two cents.

Goldmember

Reaction score
Bored for all of the same reasons. I'd say big ideas, but no money... truth of the matter is, no money = why bother?

Burninrock24

Reaction score
Bored for all of the same reasons. I'd say big ideas, but no money... truth of the matter is, no money = why bother?

Well obviously money is needed to a point but if you let your ideas be centered around money then yeah youre going to have a bad time. But there's plenty to do on a budget if youre willing to put in the work.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I think the key to not being bored in your mustang is to make sure your other car you drive is the epitome of boring. I drive my mustang about 1-3 times a month and when I do I get all excited. Driving a big, ugly minivan everyday is convenient in getting me places with decent MPG and it sure as hell keeps me interested in my other car. I may lose interest in driving every once in a while but building/working on them is something I will probably never lose interest in. If I had the means, I would buy a cheap project 240sx or subaru and let it sit in my garage for years until I've built it from the ground up how I want. I wouldn't even worry about making it driveable because that's not what I want it for... I just love working on these things. Basically what I'm trying to say is working on cars > driving them.
My DD is boring lol, not minivan boring but its a 93 4x4 toyota pickup. You drive your car 1-3x a month?! Yeah see a project that you get to tinker with a lot would be plenty of fun and one would always be occupied. You would build a sick subaru based on your likes. Yeah I enjoy driving my car on Sundays but at the same time it brings up those feelings of being bored because I don't really want to put money into it and still be slow. I have thought about working on the appearance though.
Not the case for me, I have the money I just don't feel right spending it all on an car. I feel there are better uses for it but at the same time I have nothing to buy. I've never been the type to spend my pay check on car parts. But I do hear you on the why bother. I just feel that if I had a 5.0 I'd be working on it a lot and not be bored.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Hmmm I have something that might fancy your interest :)

It's not easy to find a clean 5.0 anymore. I've done all the suspension mods too. Mpg is surprisingly good. I got 24 hwy on my last trip for work.

To the topic though. We all get bored of our cars. Do little things it helps you feel like you did something major. Like umm say you have a door cup that is all worn out. Get a new one 25 bucks and you'll be so happy.

Like they say you have to walk before you can run :)
I like your GT, looks great! But I'd never drive a vert (just not my thing).
You're right, I can't seem to find anything clean on craigslist locally. Regardless I'm just browsing meanwhile I decide. Not bad on the mpg but what mods does it have? My Cobra in the city gets about 17mpg with exhaust and 4.10s. Mixed it will do about 20-21mpg but more city.

I like that idea about doing little things here and there, but I can't even find the motivation to do that lol. I need to wax it but I'm like "meh." I do need to rotate my tires, and cut the inner firewalls up front because 275s with my cars stance is just tearing those things up. Little things I still want to do are change the interior to black since my corbeaus are black. But can't find motivation.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Fcking truth right there.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I always need a project to be building and buying for. I get bored with cars typically during the winter when mine is in storage and I only really drive to get from A to B. Once spring and summer roll around I get the bug again though.

The thing with what you said about the 5.0 Cobra though, is that you gotta find something about your car that you can work on, but NOT buy. Buying is easy, but craftsmanship and creativity take time, skill and talent. And with those, come books at the library to learn something, trips to lowes and harbor freight for tools, lots of brain storming and such.

If you set out and say, I want to build a 400hp 5.0. It's easy. You literally buy parts like a recipe and then once you're done, you're here making a for sale thread because you're bored again.

But you see the people here that aren't bored with their cars, they're doing DIY splitters, tail lights, spoilers, panhard bars, body modifications, hand-porting, crossbreeding 2vs with 4vs and 3vs, stuff like that. And they aren't getting bored because the PROCESS of building the car into what they want is a lot of the fun, and the stuff they do takes a lot of time and creativity.

Sending a block and heads to a machine shop and ordering your internals from summit is like ordering from a good restaurant. Finding something new and fun to do with your car is like grilling out in the backyard and enjoying the beer while you wait.

Sorry for the rant, just my two cents.
Okay good thought it was just me. There's really nothing I want to purchase. I don't care for video games, the newest gizmo, etc..

Yeah I would like to be working on a project, a 5.0 would suit me as those can always be messed around with. Luckily for me its mustang season year round here in Phoenix. The summer and spring bug haha.

That is true, but I don't think one can get bored with a cammed pushrod! That sound is just amazing!

I like the idea of customizing or making little changes that count here and there but I'm not creative at all. I definitely don't use the right side of my brain lol. Wish I had that capacity. One of my friends is super creative and meticulous like that; his 85 GT is super clean!

Fabricating pieces is mind blowing to me, I'm just not creative. I love how people do all that stuff.

No need to apologize, good read. My car is pretty much where it will stay looks wise. Its pretty low, has the right wheels, and the looks great. Just needs the mirrors painted and some export tail lights and its done. Cobras look great with their front bumpers out of the box.

kb1982

Reaction score
Im always reading about cars online, but Ill admit I havent touched my Mustang in 2 months atleast. I tore it apart to fix some leaks that it had then I got fed up with it, threw all the parts in the trunk, and rolled it outside. I just got tired of working on it, but I've got renewed interest now. As of a week ago, I also get to put a new engine in my Saturn, so now my 09 Ninja is my daily driver. I think the only reason for the renewed interest is just to fix all of my broke shit!!!

Whistler98

Reaction score
I don't ever get bored lol. But I have a few projects. My 98 is prob gonna sit all summer so I can save for upgrades. I would love to have it finished but it takes time.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Like mentioned I think DD'ing the car is what helps make it get "boring". I rarely drive mine and when I do it reminds me of why I love it so much. Just keep yourself busy with it, doing small upgrades when you can and that goes a far way.

RichV

Reaction score
I find that if I'm not doing mods to improve something for the race track, I'm not modding anything. So for me, I do everything for the race track.

I keep my cars in nice shape, but polishing chrome, or appearance mods do nothing for me. So my cars rarely see any bling.

function > form in my stable

Once in a while you just need to take a step back. Maybe spend some $ in tools, house projects, vacation, pay off some debt, etc. Then get back in when you're ready.

Mustanger

Reaction score
I haven't gotten "bored" with my car yet...I only drive it ~3-4k miles a year & it can stay in the garage so it is very clean all the time. I get lots of comments & thumbs up & challenges to race everytime I take it out & that keeps me charged up about it. I really appreciate the fact that so many people enjoy the looks of my car too. Guess I like talking to people everywhere...I belong to two car clubs & am very active there, I go to a lot of shows in the Spring & Summer but now mostly to have fun & visit acquaintances, see the cars etc.

Plus my car has enough projects waiting for money or time that it seems new again whenever I get one done, For instance I still am in the new phase with my 3:55's & the off road H pipe, it drives so much different & sounds so amazing that I can hardly wait to fire it up! It drives so nice that it scares me...hehe In many ways I am glad I don't have the money to just go out & buy whatever I need for it. I really DON'T want to finish it....the process of modding it & thinking & planning...doing something then showing my friends what I did...that is where my fun is.

Even little things like my puddle lamps that I am about to install (hope they don't look cheesy) get my interest going...then I got thrown off course by Kenne Bell when they dropped the pushrod 302's & was bummed for a bit until I came up with plan B...A Coyote swap! That is such a big one that it may never happen but I can still dream & plan & research all the while the price drops ! And I might come on a nice deal from a wrecked Coyote sometime... I actually hope I never finish my car!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I get bored, I have been known to park my car and not drive it again for 2 years.

I am in one of those funks right now and can't decide if I need to finish what I have or just start over with a Terminator or SN4V.

Oh and slap a blower on your car and you won't have an issue with those B heads anymore. I like the B heads and LOVE the look of the 96-98 4V Intake so no way I would swap them. Boost is your friend... I have been looking at 98 4V Verts and if I do decide to swap from my 2V a T trim will be on in no time.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I get bored, I have been known to park my car and not drive it again for 2 years.

I am in one of those funks right now and can't decide if I need to finish what I have or just start over with a Terminator or SN4V.

Oh and slap a blower on your car and you won't have an issue with those B heads anymore. I like the B heads and LOVE the look of the 96-98 4V Intake so no way I would swap them. Boost is your friend... I have been looking at 98 4V Verts and if I do decide to swap from my 2V a T trim will be on in no time.

*YSI

Goldmember

Reaction score
Well obviously money is needed to a point but if you let your ideas be centered around money then yeah youre going to have a bad time. But there's plenty to do on a budget if youre willing to put in the work.

I have a couple cheap things to do this summer. Biggest one is rustproofing, followed by new strut mounts and rack bushings, both of which I have sitting in the garage. Having a one week old daughter changes the game, too.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I got tired of messing with my gt. It's all apart. Don't feel like messing with it. Instead I mess with the cobra. .

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

slow90coupe

Reaction score
I honestly freakin hate my Mustang. But since nobody will pay for it, I guess I'm stuck with it. I'd rather drive my WRX any day of the week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010