Do you jack from the pumpkin?

joe65

Reaction score
geezus just get a lift. oh wait i can't afford one yet either.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
that math would be assuming its a solid bar all the way across which it is not. So its hard to say if that is accurate or not. But as you said in the end that damage can happen by doing it this way.

if you're concerned about the diff cover then yeah find another method, because you could certainly damage it if you do it improperly.

that math is done using hollow steel tube with the dimensions of an 8.8 axle. that bend is 1/16th of an inch spread over the distance between the pumpkin and spring mount. This does also not take into account the sold steel axle that also is connected to the pumpkin and tube via bearings which provides additional strength.

the most sure fire way to tell if you have any bend would be to place a straight edge on the axle tube that spans from pumpkin to spring mount. if you can see light between the tube and straight edge there is a bend. if there is no light, you have no bend. I have 5 days vacation coming up, ill be crawling under the car and attempting this to either prove or disprove that jacking the vehicle up by the pumpkin puts stress to the point of bending/damaging the tubes. As I said earlier the math is enough for me to believe its safe but some folks like practical examples so... ill attempt to provide one.

Also one more thing ill check for my own curiosity is how much weight is actually on the suspension at the rear. I used 850 lbs but I think its probably closer to 600. my springs have a linear spring rated at 250lb per inch. so that should be simple take the full length of the spring then compress it on a flat surface. few quick maths and should be fairly accurate

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
But I still use jacks and jack stands once and a while
A 4 post is nice but without the attachment for working on the suspension thats another thing
But I will do just as I always have been

Werecow

Reaction score
400hp and a sticky tire will bend the crap out of your axle tubes. Jacking by the pumpkin hahahahahahaaa..
Your doing it wrong,

Now that's how you'll bend an axle tube!! That's why high HP 8.8's are welded, gusseted and braced. You won't bend one by simply jacking it up by the tube, or the pumpkin. As I and others have said here before, all you have to do is be careful of the cover and not bend it because it is prone to warping and leaking because from the factory it's sealed with sealant, no gasket.. Use your heads.. there's a reason why..

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m just glad I can Jack mine up by the pumpkin and there’s no axle tubes to even worry about bending!!!! Cause they don’t exist!!!!! [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apsmith49921

Reaction score
I’m just glad I can Jack mine up by the pumpkin and there’s no axle tubes to even worry about bending!!!! Cause they don’t exist!!!!! [emoji38]

Hover craft set up??? NICE!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hover craft set up??? NICE!!!!!!!

f5ed01934689120ba8e210a93e201815.jpg

Like I said, no axle tubes to bend!!!! [emoji12]

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Is that swap a pain? I'm curious about it

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Is that swap a pain? I'm curious about it

Not really. You gotta install the rear upper braces which means either creating plates in the trunk or welding in which is easy. Then it just bolts in. Only other thing is fabbing up the brake lines which isn’t bad if you have the flaring tools.

Connie

Reaction score
Believe it or not that stock cover is pretty tough try straighten one out
I have had many jacks on the cover and diff no problems
it really is hard to fuck one up
I noticed that also. The Cover is very strong. As if Ford already had in mind, that as owners, we were going to jack our Mustangs from the Pumpkin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online