Do you jack from the pumpkin?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The load is transfered from two points on either side of the car, the wheels, to the axle maybe 6" away from the shock. Where as when ya jack from the pumpkin now you have all the load in one spot that then transfers that load 2.5 ft away from the shock that then moves the body. See the difference?

Think about how thin and flimsy the factory upper and lower control arms are. The rear end is a massively strong piece that deals with some serious abuse and weight distribution as a whole.

When’s the last time you heard of someone breaking or warping their rear end housing?!?!

Go ahead and think about it and let me k ow when you can think of any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
and I considered that it is made to handle hard take offs as well but again consider that the load is again transferred from 2 points(wheels) to the axle where the control
Think about how thin and flimsy the factory upper and lower control arms are. The rear end is a massively strong piece that deals with some serious abuse and weight distribution as a whole.

When’s the last time you heard of someone breaking or warping their rear end housing?!?!

Go ahead and think about it and let me k ow when you can think of any.

upper and lower control arms control it from moving forward/back, by going up and down. I am not sure why you are confusing that with the idea that the shocks are where the rear end meets the body. I mean remove the shocks and then jack from the rear and I would imagine you will have more problems. And again why would they make control arms so strong if the rear end is bullet proof 20 yrs after they made them? :)

PinkieT

Reaction score
Your worried about the axle tubes holding up the weight of the car while jacking it up???

What do you think holds the weight of the car when the tires are on the ground?? Asking for a friend.............

Think of holding a barbell with your hands at the ends next to the weights, then again with both hands together at the center. First instance the bar doesn't bend, second it can.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I did manage to find something out , the reason why you don't lift from the rear diff , is for safety reason it could roll the car forward or backward if ground is not level down hill slope or it could slide off the side of the jack
but I am still going to do it my way

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
IF your worried about it breaking Don't drive it
no again driving it is in its intended uses and I fully plan on doing that. If you could show me some good instructions from ford or some other reputable source on how to properly jack from the pumpkin you might change my opinion but until then you will just never hear about me having a buggered up diff cover or worse. As was said above it says not too... Like I said before I didn't expect to change anyone's mind and if anyone could give me a better reason than "done it a billion times never had a problem" well I can think of all kinds of things that fall into that category that I would still consider at the very least not a good thing and maybe even a bad thing. Keep on jacking my good friends and I will not stop you but I know you will think of me next time you do :)

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Think of holding a barbell with your hands at the ends next to the weights, then again with both hands together at the center. First instance the bar doesn't bend, second it can.
ding ding ding but those bars don't bend they make em super strong.......

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
People have been placing jacks under the pumpkin since long before many of us were even alive, with the exception of a few of you old farts.

I’m still waiting for someone to show a busted or warped rear end from doing so.

Your not going to damage your rear end aside from messing up the cover which you shouldn’t put that much pressure on. Show me proof otherwise. Show me carnage. Show me where someone actually damaged their rear end. Show me actual physical proof that any of this matters.

Otherwise this is just a bunch of opinions whereas many have done this multiple times over the years with no issues and others just want to naysay with no actual evidence otherwise.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
People have been placing jacks under the pumpkin since long before many of us were even alive, with the exception of a few of you old farts.

I’m still waiting for someone to show a busted or warped rear end from doing so.

Your not going to damage your rear end aside from messing up the cover which you shouldn’t put that much pressure on. Show me proof otherwise. Show me carnage. Show me where someone actually damaged their rear end. Show me actual physical proof that any of this matters.

Otherwise this is just a bunch of opinions whereas many have done this multiple times over the years with no issues and others just want to naysay with no actual evidence otherwise.

like I say, I have jacks that are cupped to catch the diff and I still use a small piece of rubber for padding so it cant slide around any , I have been doing it that way forever

apsmith49921

Reaction score
ding ding ding but those bars don't bend they make em super strong.......
Not the same. The weight of the vehicle is spanned the entire distance across the bar(rear end). In the barbell scenario the weight is directly on each end.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

That is not a pro lift bar and he’s an idiot for ever putting that much weight on a small cheap bar.

This is also not an apples to apples comparison.

The rear ends in the cars, the same as many trucks..........is engineered to take all the weight and force the car creates. It’s not just the weight that sits directly on top, or the weight that shifts from side to side under hard cornering, or the insane increase in force and weight under a hard launch. It’s built to handle all of this at once.

And y’all still think that merely jacking it from that point is gonna hurt something???

I’m still waiting on anyone to find proof that it damages anything. And I’m not talking about a single isolated incident that could’ve been a pre existing damaged housing. I wanna see multiple events from multiple people that say it’s an issue.

Keep searching, we’ll keep waiting.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Not the same. The weight of the vehicle is spanned the entire distance across the bar(rear end). In the barbell scenario the weight is directly on each end.

Where is the weight of the car transferred to the rear end? At the very end where the shocks meet the rear end, same as on the barbell.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
By this theory, putting coil overs on a solid axle would cause issues because you are moving the lifting point from the control arm to the axle. The shocks have nothing to do with lifting the car, that’s the job of the springs.

You can absolutely unbolt the shock and remove it and the car would not move at all. It would bounce like crazy, but it would still hold itself up. Think about a car driving around with bad shocks.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
the spring is 25 inches or so from the pumpkin. Made of 2.75 round .25 inch thick steel tube. a mustangs weight divided evenly is 875 lbs in each corner. (we had better not have to argue that there's less weight in the back then the front.....) but ill divide weight evenly. The movement of the tube is going to be .09 inches... .09 and thats a high estimate. its probably closer to .07-.05 because you almost certainly get 0 weight from the engine/trans. So your rear axle bending at possibly .05 inches to me is no where near a big deal, but thats just me.

this math is enough for me to believe using the pumpkin is safe. not to mention having a 3/4 inch thick axle running directly through the center does also help with rigidity.

Ford probably says dont jack the pumpkin because you can damage the diff cover. if they said it was ok and you bent the diff cover, they would be libel for damages. this way it clears them.

Attachments

• deflection.PNG
    deflection.PNG
    8.5 KB · Views: 8

apsmith49921

Reaction score
I usually have to start off with shorter strokes of the handle. Then as it gets higher then move to longer ones

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the spring is 25 inches or so from the pumpkin. Made of 2.75 round .25 inch thick steel tube. a mustangs weight divided evenly is 875 lbs in each corner. (we had better not have to argue that there's less weight in the back then the front.....) but ill divide weight evenly. The movement of the tube is going to be .09 inches... .09 and thats a high estimate. its probably closer to .07-.05 because you almost certainly get 0 weight from the engine/trans. So your rear axle bending at possibly .05 inches to me is no where near a big deal, but thats just me.

this math is enough for me to believe using the pumpkin is safe. not to mention having a 3/4 inch thick axle running directly through the center does also help with rigidity.

Ford probably says dont jack the pumpkin because you can damage the diff cover. if they said it was ok and you bent the diff cover, they would be libel for damages. this way it clears them.
that math would be assuming its a solid bar all the way across which it is not. So its hard to say if that is accurate or not. But as you said in the end that damage can happen by doing it this way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online

No members online now.