Do you rebuild Calipers or replace on your SN95?

Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys do. I had a rear caliper that seemed to hang. I bled it and it worked better but still had my doubts. When I pulled it the seal was bad and it may have gotten moisture into it.. I replaced it with one from CARQUEST. It cost me $93 plus core which I thought was a bit steep,caliper rebuild kit was about a quarter of that.

Duffy

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my right front......I rebuilt both fronts using kits from Rock Auto ($2.95 each) and although everything looked good I replaced the seals and boots. It's "better" but still not right. I'll get a set of calipers from Rock Auto (about $35) and replace them some time this winter.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Duffy, I wondered about rebuild. I would think a new piston and the seals and boots would do it but the caliper would need to be in good shape. In retrospect my caliper had torn rubber piston seal and I suspect moisture had gotten in. I'm glad at this point I went with a new caliper. I do think caliper rebuilds can be successful.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well of course rebuilt calipers can successful I mean even the replacements you buy will probably be rebuilt. Its like anything else automotive that if you know what your doing its probably not hard or expensive, just takes some time. But then you have to weigh in that anyone that knows what they are doing has made a few mistakes to learn so its only natural that you will as well so it comes down to one question, how well do you trust yourself to rebuild your brakes for the first time? I mean its not like they are important......

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Buy rebuilds and have a warranty. They fail and you crash then at least you can hold them accountable. You rebuild them and they fail and well, the jokes on you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duffy

Reaction score
The kits I got only came with seals and boots, no piston...........they are some kind of synthetic material (not metal, more like a phenolic). I do believe that is the problem as I have re-built many brake cylinders in the past with good results.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
The auto shop I worked in did caliper rebuilds , my boss was good at it, we never had any problem with our own rebuilds. The problem as I see it is that in the trade is that labour costs would put the rebuild right up to the cost of remanufactured calipers for the customer. I have no issue with safety in rebuilding my own

dcm0123

Reaction score
Just installed set of AutoZone premium rebuilt rears. One leaked from emergency brake shaft seal right out of box.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online