Do your wheels roll freely?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
While R&R’g the 2 forward O2 sensors the other day, with the front end off the ground, I rolled the wheels and they didn’t roll freely for very long at all. Is that normal? It made me wonder if that friction is affecting not only brake pad longevity but also overall performance and mpg?

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
That's a good sign. It means the wheel bearings are still nice and tight. Even if they were free rolling with relative ease, it's fine. But when the wheel wobbles and around and move in/out, you'll have a replacement on your hands. But usually if a wheel bearing is bad you'll hear it moaning constantly.

You can easily check wheel bearing clearance by just manhandling the wheel while it's off the ground and this also checks for ball joint and tie rod play. And there's plenty of youtube vids that tell you what you're checking for based on what kind of wheel movement you do while you're grabbing the tire, like which direction you're putting force toward and whatnot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Fantastic, Jeff. I actually did all those manipulations and NO excessive play. So, I feel better about that

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I figured it was something like that (pads dragging). How do I remedy this??

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Bout the only thing you can do is make sure the slide pin is smooth and doesn't have any gouges or burrs and keep it greased, same with rears.

With OE calipers, you can't get around it.

castine917

Reaction score
Bout the only thing you can do is make sure the slide pin is smooth and doesn't have any gouges or burrs and keep it greased, same with rears.

With OE calipers, you can't get around it.
Occasionally it can be lines have rust inside or have been pinched allowing pressure into the caliper, but not allowing it to exit the caliper and not releasing the pads.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Occasionally it can be lines have rust inside or have been pinched allowing pressure into the caliper, but not allowing it to exit the caliper and not releasing the pads.
Lines front and rear just replaced with J&M stainless steel braided set from LMR. Shouldn’t be that, I’d think.

My uneducated guess would be caliper not functioning properly. Yes, not releasing the pads.

Last edited:

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
With those OEM floating calipers, you have to keep the slide pin on the front set constantly cleaned and greased because it's directly exposed, unlike the rears that have those accordion boots and you only have to inspect/re-grease with every pad/rotor change.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
With those OEM floating calipers, you have to keep the slide pin on the front set constantly cleaned and greased because it's directly exposed, unlike the rears that have those accordion boots and you only have to inspect/re-grease with every pad/rotor change.
Ahhhh… ok. Makes sense. I’ve got some brake grease. I’ll check it out. Thanks!

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Those pins are steel so they corrode. Make sure there's no scale on them with a scotch brite pad or sand paper that's not too aggressive, then you'd clean them and finally grease them lightly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online