Does a tune really do that much on an HCI 94 5.0?

Kylebach14

Reaction score
I have a 94 5.0 that I did a HCI swap on and it surges when warm and feels like its not getting enough gas for the amount of air thats coming in. I was just wanting to know if a tune would really make a noticeable difference?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For that much of a change over stock, a tune will do wonders for pretty much any car, 94 Mustang GT included. Having said that, the "extreme-ness" of the HCI will dictate how much benefit one will get. For a very mild, almost stock HCI, then nah, won't see much from a tune (and of course, why HCI if it's going to be close to stock). For more aggressive HCI combo's, a tune is key for a properly running engine. And we are talking a MAF setup here, not speed density or carb'd or anything like that.

OP
OP
Kylebach14

Kylebach14

Reaction score
Let me give you the low down:
1994 HCI 5.0 AODE (Somedays wish it was a T5): Edelbrock Performer Heads, 1.6 Comp RR's, TFS 1 Cam, Typhoon U/L Intake, Kirbin Adjustable FPR, Summit Shorty Headers, FLowmaster True Dual Dumps, Deleted A/C + SMOG, B&M Shift Kit, 3.73, Stock MAF + Injectors + TB.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have exact numbers for you as I don't have that setup myself, but I'd wager that a tune will improve your drive-ability and provide a modest bump in power.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
You really need to upgrade the injectors too. the stock 19's are maxed out with those heads, cam and intake.
The computer can only adjust so much on it's own. That's where a dyno tune come in

OP
OP
Kylebach14

Kylebach14

Reaction score
Yeah, there's a place in dayton that can do a dyno tune for me and they specialize in mustangs. The cost is like 375 plus 75 for 4 dyno pulls.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There are also folks here who can either do a tune for you (addermk4 or something like that), or at least get you on your way. There's also OTS tunes solid by places like AmericanMuscle - you tell them your setup, they tell you whether they can get you a tune or not, and then ship it to you. An actual dyno tune will always be better, but if you aren't looking for absolutely every last hp, then an OTS tune is not a bad way to go.

OP
OP
Kylebach14

Kylebach14

Reaction score
How would I go about having fellow members tune for me? what will I need to get?

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
you won't even believe how much of a difference a tune can make, it will feel like a new engine.

Addermk2/Keith is a good dude also, he's helped me a lot over the years.

OP
OP
Kylebach14

Kylebach14

Reaction score
^Btw how well do you like your subie? I was looking at an acura tl or any honda. I was also looking at mazdaspeeds and wrx's and didnt k ow what you were looking at before your sti?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
^Btw how well do you like your subie? I was looking at an acura tl or any honda. I was also looking at mazdaspeeds and wrx's and didnt k ow what you were looking at before your sti?

Asking me?

chris91

Reaction score
If you are talking about Mike Bell with Dayton Performance then you are headed to the right people. Mike knows his shit, he's on here also. Also being just up in Dayton you arent too far from Cleves and should check out S&M Motorsports, Adam is one of the best in the area. Here is his website.

http://www.sandmmotorsports.com/

OP
OP
Kylebach14

Kylebach14

Reaction score
Does mike have the dayton 5.0 performance shop? If so thats the guy I may take it to. He seemed like a straight up dude.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online