Does anyone know the reason behind the different fuel tanks on similar sn95s?

Jason.Silus

Reaction score
ChrisFix and most othe people I've seen have the singular cavity in the center, but mine has this one with one in the center and one on the right side. Anyone know what the purpose of this is, and if there's anyway to identify if a car has it without taking down the whole tank.

It's my first time posting here, so please let me know if I made a mistake.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211202-200210_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211202-200210_Google.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20211202-200223_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211202-200223_Google.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 11

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The tank you have could possibly be an engineering change year switch from one style to the next and yours fell into the middle.

What year is your car?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought that the years that they did the returnless fuel system they had a different tank which is one of the reasons its PIA to switch over?

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
And I can tell you from first hand that BBK does not carry the correct pump for a 98. No matter what they tell you. Ended up going to Walbro after BBK sent me 3 separate pumps.

Jake

tvsn95

Reaction score
Up to 97 the tank was like the one pictured with two holes. 98 was still return style but went to a pump in a basket in the middle of the tank. 99 and up was the same style but it was returnless.
So for my education ,, WILL a 98 return styie basket tank fit into the 94-95 without any mods other than fuel lines?
I have built several cars and the fuel systems are a pain, well to do it on a budget . Getting pumps through the small opening is a real problem. the central style would be much easier as long as the gauge still worked right .

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
So for my education ,, WILL a 98 return styie basket tank fit into the 94-95 without any mods other than fuel lines?
I have built several cars and the fuel systems are a pain, well to do it on a budget . Getting pumps through the small opening is a real problem. the central style would be much easier as long as the gauge still worked right .
Yes it will, but the older style tank is better because it holds fuel around the pump. There are no baffles or baskets in the 98 tank. I swapped my 98 to the 97 and down style tank.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Never mind, I misread the question. The 98 basket will not fit the previous tank. You’d have to swap the whole tank and filler neck in order to use the basket.

OP
OP
Jason.Silus

Jason.Silus

Reaction score
Your tank will have the two separate components. One for the float assembly and one for the pump assembly. It’s the better tank. Little bit of a pain to swap the pump, but it’s the better setup.
After swapping out the fuel pump and float, my gas guage no longer works. Any ideas on why that is?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
After swapping out the fuel pump and float, my gas guage no longer works. Any ideas on why that is?
I know this is going to suck, but the best thing you can do is pull the tank back down and take the float assembly out. It’s likely the it got hung up when you were installing it. That, or the connector doesn’t have a good connection on top of the tank. The pins tend to loosen up. I would pull the float out, plug it in and move the arm then turn the key on and see if the fuel level changes when manually moving the float arm.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if your lucky you either just forgot to plug it in, or it became disconnected while putting it in. If your not then there is a problem inside the tank itself.

Monday

Reaction score
If you're pulling the tank again, cut access panels in your trunk. You won't have to pull the tank ever again - my easiest job on the car...

tvsn95

Reaction score
I swapped to 0304 cobra tank that I found from year one at a fair price it uses the center basket with a baffle to keep the fuel next to the pump
I purchased 898 filler neck then built a plug with a return connection for the tank fill vent and then hosed it with five eights fuel line make sure you use fuel line my car fills perfectly now works great I used an on3 pump hat that will hold three standard pumps or you can modify it to put two large pumps i used 2 450 Walbro‘s

tvsn95

Reaction score
Oh yes you will need to purchase the 1998 fuel level sending unit that attaches to the on three hat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online