Does PA use sniffers in inspections? (not the usual question)

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
I'm in a predicament here..

A few weeks ago I ran over a rock and it smashed up one of my cats. The pieces are now rattling around inside it it is HELL hearing it. I've got to get my car inspected in the next month or so and it leaves me with a dillema..

I've got PA plates but I'm staying in NJ for the summer. I'll have to go back to PA to get it inspected, so I'll most likely be going into philly for it.

Now, what does PA do during inspections? Do they just do visual and OBDII? Or will they stick a sensor in my tailpipes too? If I cut out the cats and weld in a piece of pipe and tac on the heatshields from the cats, will it pass?

If they dont do sniffer tests, then I think i'd have a better chance passing due to the lack of the rattling cat sounds which would be a giveaway to them that it's not in good condition.

If I had the money I would just buy a new cat, but I've been very money-misfortunate in the past few months and can't really find a way to buy a new cat and have it welded in without borrowing money.

Anyone know the info I need or know of a shop that wont give me a hard time?

96 GT

ripper

Reaction score
AHHHH The old I live in Pa but im stayin in NJ for the summer and want to pay Pa insurance premiums trick huh? :hammer:

It depends on the county i think. Some sniff some dont. Im thinkin Philly would be a sniffer. PM Uncletravellinmatt. He will know for sure. You can usually find him in politics threads.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Found me here today Stevo.

It depends on the county. Down by Philly they stick the pipe. I Northampton they do a visual inspection and check the cap vacuum. By visual inspection I mean, make sure the "check engine" light is not on, check under the hood for any disconected parts, check for cats, and they do check, vacuum test your fuel cap.

But you will need to go to the county that your car is registered in. If you go to a county that don't stick the pipe, but the county your car is registered in does, they won't do it.

If you cut your cats out, install a piece of straight pipe and cover it with a heat shield. You WILL get busted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online