Does the Overdrive switch light up?

Techedz

Reaction score
Hi, first post.

I have a 66 Mustang Convertible that I have fitted a 351 Windsor with a 750 Holley, AODE and 9" diff to.
The AODE is out of a 95 Fox body. I've got it all working nicely using a Quickshift 4 controller which is an amazing unit, fully programmable with a laptop.

My question is, does the overdrive light on the floor shift light up when you press it to turn off overdrive? If so how is it wired to do this and work overdrive as it is a momentary switch and only has two wires?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
welcome ,
there is a couple guys on here that may have that answer
nice ride if you have more pics of the car put them out

OP
OP
Techedz

Techedz

Reaction score
Thanks for that, I'm interested in the answer. I currently have wired in a separate light but I'm thinking the factory would have a light but I imagine it's probably on the dash driven by the computer.

Here's a couple of pics of my car, I've had it 5 years but spent a fair bit of that time fixing it up and redoing everything. It started with a tired 351, C6 and tired 9" and now has a very cranky 351, AODE, new 9" and big front disks. The interior has just been slapped together at this stage because I just want to get out and drive it and enjoy it before I do more work on it. Paint needs doing, Mexican paint job, good from 10 feet.

1 Edz 66 17.9.21 front right.JPG4 Edz 66 17.9.21 engine shot.JPGEdz 66 17.9.21 rear - no plate.jpg2 Edz 66 17.9.21 inside 1.JPG3 Edz 66 17.9.21 inside 2.JPGEdz 66 17.9.21 left side.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Techedz

Techedz

Reaction score
Below are the new 13" front brakes behind 17" wheels. The other two shots are the adapter brackets I drew up and 3D printed before I had them cut in 10mm steel on a waterjet. I hid a booster under the mudguard.

wheel-front-Jan-2019 (1).jpg

Edz Brakes_3D_printed2.jpgEdz Brakes_3D_printed3.jpg

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Looks good
I have had a few oldies myself
69 boss 302
68 fastback
66 coup
And a few others

OP
OP
Techedz

Techedz

Reaction score
Tah. Yes I dreamed about getting one for 15 years then bit the bullet and bought it.

They are not a common sight in Australia and I'm keeping it left-hand drive as it makes it even more unique. I haven't seen another convertible in this colour yet in Australia. Factory V8 auto, mine is also one of only 3000 with a bench seat.

This is the view I love on the road:

IMG_0952.JPG

This was my first road trip with my sister in the back at 110 kmh (68 mph) on the freeway heading up the coast. She thought she would be able to sit in the back and knit but the buffeting of the wind stopped that!

IMG_0951.JPG

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Ya I kick myself for getting rid of them everyday
I do want another boss 302 351 429 does not matter
Or even an old mach1
Looking at prices right now
Scares me
Till I run into a good deal I ll wait

OP
OP
Techedz

Techedz

Reaction score
Thanks Wmac, I thought that may be the case, that means the computer is controlling the light. As I have no computer I'll stick with what I have. The gearbox controller turns an led on or off when you turn overdrive off.

Wmac

Reaction score
Yes, the aode is electronically controlled by the pcm.

That's one hell of a nice ride you have. Congrats.

Any particular reason you chose the aode over a 4r70w trans?

OP
OP
Techedz

Techedz

Reaction score
Thank you. Yes when I went looking for a convertible I was prepared to travel all over Australia to find one. Found this one with the colours I instantly fell in love with only 40 miles from me and it was the cheapest factory V8 for sale at AU$39k.

I chose the AODE because I originally swapped out the C6 for and for a freshly built AOD at a good price. But even after I imported Silverfox's valve body from the US, I was never happy with it. No matter how much I tightened the TV cable, I ended up shifting it manually otherwise it would just do lazy changes into higher gears. Also, when you turned the overdrive off, it slammed back to 3rd which was uncomfortable and I didn't think would be good for the box long term.

AOD's/AODE's and 4r70w have never been fitted to cars here in Australia so you have to find secondhand ones and find someone to rebuild them. Parts are also not easy to find. Secondhand rebuilders go for $700 by the time you pay the freight. I picked this one up from a mate for a good price. I sold the AOD and bought this AODE and a Quickshift 4 from the US and still had change. It seems to be a tough box, we don't know the history of it but it was behind a '95 5 litre turbo fox body that would light the tyres at 50 mph and has firm but not unpleasant shifts.

My new motor is a torque monster. It's only got 70 miles on it so far so I'm being fairly gentle (limiter is set to 5500), but at 50 mph in overdrive, if you punch it to half throttle it kicks back to second and lights the tyres and chirps into 3rd. I had a 'gentle' dyno tune done yesterday to set the timing curve on the ignition box and check my O2 sensor. It's an old school analogue dyno so they couldn't give me a printout but they said as soon as they tried to go over 200 hp the tyres started slipping on the dyno (and I have very good street tyres). Anyhow, they were happy with the tune and said go and put a couple of 1000 kms on it then take it to the guys with a digital dyno near me as their rollers have grip. The dyno operator said the motor wants to rev to 8k! The cam is a Lunati Voodoo Hydraulic Roller Cam 231/239 which is very lumpy at idle.

My next job is suspension work, I can't fit the slapper bars properly as the u-bolts hit the chassis rail so I'm thinking of fitting Caltracs to stop windup.

Wmac

Reaction score
What converter and what rear gear are you running? Was the trans "beefed-up"?
Wouldn't advise any wot 3/4 shifts. (same for 4/3 or 4/2)

Any track days planned?

OP
OP
Techedz

Techedz

Reaction score
No track days - it's a convertible! No, I bought it as a cruise car, if I wanted a track car I would have gone manual but I hate manual V8's.

Not worried about the box, my mate who sold it to me builds them and he said even though he doesn't know what's in it, he gave it a hiding when it had the turbo 5 litre up front and it never missed a beat, just lit up the tyres. If I break it, he'll just rebuild it with tougher parts for me.

It has a new 3.5 9" with a Truetrac, not sure of the stall but I think around 2500. I don't have to stall it for a fast launch as it just shreds the tyres if I try. I just punch it firmly and feed in the throttle otherwise it lights up before it launches. It's a stroker 351 with ported heads and 10.1 compression and my engine builder estimates 480 hp and ft/lbs.

I don't want to break it so I'm setting up paddle shifters this week, that way I can control the gear changes manually and have fun while protecting the transmission shifts as I know it's not a good idea to change gears at full noise. Gives me the fun of driving a manual box without a clutch.

I found some dyno figures comparing a Ford V8 engine dyno output to rear wheel with a manual and an AOD, both had a 9". Manual tran lost 23% where the AOD lost 32%.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online