does the sound tick tick tick sound familiar???

95pootang

Reaction score
My right side header has a exhaust leak , i jacked it up yesterday , the two bolts on the front pipe were loose. I tighten them all up on the right side, but still have the ticking sound . its funny because that fricken sound is embeded in my brain. im thinking maybe the gasket has a tear in it or something , what do you guys think. :rant: :comando: Its not as bad , but its still there.

jbeez

Reaction score
I've replaced my header gaskets many many times :D

I think theres a fitment issue with my driver's side header flange or the head or something, no matter what I do it doesn't seem to fix it, eventually it rots the gasket out again and the ticking returns, I probably need diff headers to fix it.

So try to listen closley through a peice of tube or something for the tick near the exhaust ports on the heads, you might be able to narrow down if its there or somewhere else...

good luck hunting

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
Well I just recently learned that a ticking sound on my car was a bad coil. So you might wanna check if yours is arcing. Just a thought.

Urban Legend

Reaction score
Last spring I replaced my header gaskets and they were some cheap kind. When I pulled off the header hard chunks of gasket were breaking up. Put some fel pros on and it's sounded great!

wytstang

Reaction score
Fel pros and some lock washers of Breslin split bolt would work well.

SVTGizzi

Reaction score
i got the same problem and it annoys the crap outta me!!! i tried tightening my header bolts and it didnt help it definatly sounds like an exhaust leak and i cant stand it!

916_5.0

Reaction score
What kind of headers do you have? It could be a bad flange on the header or a bad gasket like other people said. Put fel pros on and torque your header bolts down evenly. Also if its your driver side check the smog tube that goes to the egr they leak sometimes as well. I hate exhaust leaks.

BOS-94-003

Reaction score
Could it not just be that once a header bolt backs out enough to cause a leak that the gasket gets warped and deteriorated in that area. Tightening the gasket down helps but does not seal it off completely due to the damage already incurred. New gaskets and locking header bolts would be my guess.

OP
OP

95pootang

Reaction score
well i bought some copper gaskets. and lock rings that come with it. i was thinking about pulling that gasket off tomorrow, but screw it ill let my mechanic do the dam work on monday. i wish i had the time to do this stuff but with my family and my business , it just isnt gonna happen. i get do tired of paying that fricken labor rate theses huys charge around here , but hey i gues we gotta spread the green around huh. the hood should be on monday ill post pics asap. thanks for all your comments on here guys.

SVTGizzi

Reaction score
BOS-94-003 said:
Could it not just be that once a header bolt backs out enough to cause a leak that the gasket gets warped and deteriorated in that area. Tightening the gasket down helps but does not seal it off completely due to the damage already incurred. New gaskets and locking header bolts would be my guess.

ok that sounds about right...i didnt re-tighten my header bolts until a couple months after i originally installed them so it makes sense that it warped the gasket...ill replace the gaskets when i do my clutch.

thanks guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online