does this sound right? (slow race inside)

tooslow

Reaction score
I have a bone stock 98 GT 5 speed. nothing AT ALL done to it. down ti the paper filter and 2.73's. A friend of mine just pickup up a 92 5.0 auto GT conv. which, i'd asume to be the slowest possible configuration of a fox body. The car has an unknown cam which lopes pretty hard, cat-back exhaust, CAI, with the stock HO intake and stock heads. Thats all the previous owner has told him, and i'm sure thats all that is done to the car.

On to the races...

The first race was from a dead stop. We both hit it at the same time, i hooked prefect and didn't hear any spinning from him nore did he claim to have spun. I pulled out ahead right away and was able to get his front right on my rear by the top of first where i shifted around 5500ish. I hear his car shift to second right about as i did and he pulled right back instantly. Second gear fealt as if i just stopped moving as he pulled ahead 1.5 cars. 3rd gear though, i gained some lost ground and we ended the race midway through my 3rd gear with my front tires just behind his rear tires.

i was surprised i didn't get raped.

2nd race, very similar to the first. I pull out right away, but hold 1st a little longer and shift at 6000rpm. i think it did more harm than good. as like the first race his car pulls way harder than mine in second and he put 1.5-2 cars on me and i couldn't regain it back this time.

3rd and final race, again, very similar to the first. only, this time i won. :dontknow: 1st gear i pull ahead again (i'm starting to think i'm just a better driver than he is at this point and getting the hit.) i shifted much harder/faster this race than the first 2 probably out of desperation and we actually ran up to 110-115ish instead of letting out at 80-90 like the first 2. again, he reals me in 2nd but does't pull the 1.5-2 lengths as in the first 2 races and in 3rd i seamed to have stopped his pull early and crept by him by 110 with my nose being barely ahead when we shut down.

He's a good friend so afterward we bullshitted and talked about our cars for a while.

It is our conclusion that his "unknown" cam is most likely too large for his stock heads. THis may explain the lack of low end torque at take off, and the falling on its face after 2nd gear.

does the outcomes seem right? i know it being an auto vert has a bit to do with slowing it down, but will that really slow it down enough to be just be barely faster than a stock nPI 4.6l?

all in all, i'm proud of my car for not getting raped by a cammed 5 oh.

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
Sounds about right except I would have to do away with the 2.73's and go to a 3.55 ratio or something. Mine came with the 3.27's and I usually lay a real hurtin' on a 5.0l w/ a 3.08 axle. They should have used the 2.73's as the standard for the automatic cars.

Now watch, the next 5.0l I get in a scuffle with will kill me.

GT

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
i doubt you would put a hurtin on my 5.0 w/ 3.08 gear. lol

what ever cam is in his car is causing him to start slow off the line and causing him to pull on you on the big end

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
Yea, I was thinking the cam was hurting the 5.0 a little at the low end.

I used to have a '93 LX Hatch 5.0l / 5 spd. w/ 3.08's and I can't tell too much difference between it and what I have now. One of the guy's I ran did tell me that my '98 was one of the quickest essentially stock 4.6l's he had ever run. Especially for an nPI set-up.

That's OK, one day I'll drop something much more serious down in it.

GT

OP
OP
T

tooslow

Reaction score
GDTrumbo said:
Yea, I was thinking the cam was hurting the 5.0 a little at the low end.

I used to have a '93 LX Hatch 5.0l / 5 spd. w/ 3.08's and I can't tell too much difference between it and what I have now. One of the guy's I ran did tell me that my '98 was one of the quickest essentially stock 4.6l's he had ever run. Especially for an nPI set-up.

That's OK, one day I'll drop something much more serious down in it.

GT

the same thing i'm thinking. he was almost sure he'd put a few buss lengths on me. now he's looking for a deal on a good top end kit. h/c/i and some gears.

i'm broke, so he can enjoy being faster for now. college is the suck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online