doing 3.73s

monkeydude3

Reaction score
So I have decided that almost immediately after I get the exhaust on the car, we are going to get 3.73s put in, and I think that will be a temporary "modding pause" point... while I save for either blower or nitrous.

I have a friend lined up at a Ford dealer, mechanic, I used to work with him, that says he'll help me one way or another to put in the gears. There is a situation with him that paying his labor for it will help out his family, so it will be a win-win-win deal.

I would like to know the best place to get gears, the best prices for the brand, I've read on an overall average that Ford Racing gears will be the way to go. I want to swap the ring and pinion, replace all bearings and seals possible, and if it's not too much more work, rebuild the limited slip in the differential. Where should all these parts be purchased? Also, this is a 1994, so how should I deal with the speedometer? I will take care of this during the gear install as well.

When it comes to fluid... also where should that come from? I have heard royal purple is good. However, since I have good connections at the entire dealer, I can get the motorcraft fully synthetic fluid and friction modifier for a good price... so would that fluid be fine to run? I ran that in my 1997 GT and never had a problem.

any input let me know, I could very well be ordering parts of this puzzle soon! thanks

S.O.B.

Reaction score
I just put FRPP 3.73 in my 95 last Tuesday night and it went well. Always heard the FRPP gears were very good quality and easy to set up. I am sure other brands are good too. Last time i looked 50resto had some of the cheaper prices on gears. gefracing has pretty good prices too. From my experience our 94/95 cars all seem to come with the stupid 8 tooth gear on the tranny shaft and that means we need a 23 tooth speedo gear. Ford doesn't use 23's and you have to get them from other vendors. The pitch on these gears is slightly off and they wear out after a while. They are plastic though, so I have never seen any damage from this. If you use Royal Purple you won't need the friction modifier, all other brands you will need to add a 4 ounce bottle so the trash lock will work. Oh yeah if you are using your old bearings you will need to get you a new crush sleeve and I would replace the pinion seal too. Good Luck, you are really going to like it when you get them broke in!! O0

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Thanks man... I took the car out tonight and I know once I get the full exhaust and gears put in it's going to be like a whole new car! More sound, more power and running in a better torque band

peace

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
what else can be upgraded or should be upgraded when I do the gears? I was thinking about putting in a set of stronger axles, would this help me down the road when we get DRs on the back?

Thanks

Schiffy

Reaction score
I bought a set of 3:90 motive gears and install kit from AmericanMuscle.com.... haven't had the chance to have them installed, because i'm on a budget, but we'll see... hopefully by mid August, as i'm about to go out to sea for most of July...

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Anyone have any input? We are doing 3.73s... and eventually will be getting some sticky tires on the back, so what SHOULD be replaced when I pull the rear end apart to put the gears in? I figure replace any and all bearings and seals I can, and put in some forged axles... the stock limited slip that is in there seems to be working great, any time I get on it hard off the line both tires always spin or both bite, depending on how hard I get on it. And when I turn with my foot on the gas I can usually feel that both are wanting to turn, if this makes any sense. I've driven some with and without the limited slip and I believe I have a feel for a difference.

Is there a rebuild kit for the LSD?

I can't think of anything other than the axles that should really be beefed up at this point. I read on this forum and in some articles that with a bigger gear, sticky tires and a hard launch the stockers have a tendency to give out.

Thanks all

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
So at the point I'm at, other than changing the ratio and rebuilding the wearable items (clutchs, bearings, seals) there isn't much I will need to do?

S.O.B.

Reaction score
Only real option other than re-building what you have is to upgrade to a 31 spline carrier/locker combo and put new moser or strange axles. Really depends on what kind of power you plan on making down the road and how deep your pockets are.

rilsy

Reaction score
when i put y 4.10s i rebuilt my trac-lok with new clutches and replaced the stock s-spring with one out of an f-150 i picked up from my local ford dealer... im pretty sure it was about 15 bucks for the new spring and i havent spun a one legger since. the install on the bigger spring is pretty east too. so if your lookin for a cheap posi upgrade this ,in my opinion, is the way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online