Doing a PI engine swap on my 98, need advice

laramik

Reaction score
Had another thread here about replacing the intake manifold on my daughter's 98 GT vert. Car has 69k on the clock and sprung a nasty leak on the coolant crossover. Tried to replace with a dorman non PI intake and it was garbage and leaked like crazy and I ended up breaking off one of the screws for the fuel rail. Soooo.....priced out a PI intake from ford along with the needed accessories and it came out to exactly $364.05 and there is no guarantee it won't leak or have issues after the install and that's also before paying a machine shop to tap the PI intake for the second sensor.

That being said, I checked on car-part dot com and found SEVERAL running engines from various 2003 and up Mercury grand Marquis, crown vics and town cars for under $500. I've settled on 2 different ones at this point, one being from a 04 GM that was sideswiped but still runs great with 67k on it for $450 and another from an 03 GM with 35k on it for $450. The 04 GM is actually pictured and looks pristine inside and out but suffered rear end damage. The 03 comes from a place whose reviews aren't great but has less miles. The 04 one also comes with a 90 day warranty and pretty darn good reviews. Both offer free delivery. Lastly there is a Town car 04 with 42k on it and it's also in great shape but was side swiped on the driver's door. Runs good as well. However it's 650. Leaning toward the one for 450 with 67k but curious to hear your guy's thoughts. Probably gonna make the buy today.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Well, don't things change quick.... So I was out in the garage yesterday cleaning up the workspace to make room for the engine when I dropped the old intake manifold directly on to my brand new Samsung Galaxy s10. That was a $1,000 mistake. It literally pierced through the front and back of the screen. So, now after that new expense I don't think I can afford the engine at this time because I'd have to buy a stand and cherry picker along with it and after that I wouldn't be able to afford it. So,guess I'll be back to seek advice on the PI swap. [emoji849]

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yeah and 3years later you still be on this site hanging out with the same type of people with the same type of problems! Life comes first!

We are here to cheer you on!

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. On the PI intake swap, I watched ChrisFix's video on YouTube and really like how thorough he is but he seemed to only put a limited amount of rtv to the block itself. Some people I know do it on both the intake and the block itself. What's everyone's thoughts or experiences on that?

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

BigBore96

Reaction score
I've always used what I deemed enough on the intake itself. It will seal.

Adding more to the block is just more than will bleed/spill out when the intake goes on potentially getting into the port and worst of all being an eye sore.

Side note: I've got a set of pi heads/cams I'd let go for next to nothing. They were gone through by a local machine shop specializing in race engines. The only thing they need is 1 needs an 8 thread insert installed. 7 of 8 were done then the build changed for the customer so he never had them finish it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online