Dome light problem

1994gt

Reaction score
I have a 94 gt convertible. When I got the car the dome light wasn't hooked up cause he said it stayed on. It has the keyless entry module but didn't have any key fobs. I bought a key fob and programmed it. Plugged the dome light in and it works like it should except when I start the car then it stays on the entire time and won't go off. And yes I made sure the headlight knob wasn't turned to where the dome light would be on. When the motor not running it works just like it should. Unlock doors and it comes on, lock doors and goes off after 30 seconds. But as soon as you start it its on all the time. This has got me puzzled. Any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score
Yespecially. Works perfect when car isn't running.

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score
Just messed with it again. Key off, open door and it comes on, shut door it goes right off. Unlock it with keyfob and light comes on, lock it and it goes off. Get in and close door and light goes right off. Start car and light comes on and stays on. Shut car off and light goes right off. This is frustrating..lol

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score
And I wd40'd the door latches and the button on the door that depresses for the light if that makes sense.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
unless the door latches are effected by the key being on it would not matter.

I am thinkin the keyless entry myself. can you take a pic of the remote?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
try locating the module(I think in the trunk drivers side) and disconnecting it too see if it stops doing it with the key in. It will help us narrow down if it is or is not the keyless or something stranger.

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score
So here's what I got today. Located the keyless control module and unplugged it entirely. I got now lights inside wether the key was on or off. Tried turning them on manually and nothing. The previous owner told me about this problem and he had the dealership even install a new keyless module and it didn't solve the problem. He gave me the other module so I hooked it up and same exact problems as before. Didn't program keyfob to see if it may be an issue and it still had same symptoms. Reprogrammed keyfob and still same problem. Could it be due to only 1 keyfob being programmed or could it be in the headlight knob??

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score
So while reinstalling everything I noticed a splices wire into the keyless module. I then remembered the original owner, I'm the third owner, installed a Clifford alarm into the car. This changes things. Thougt maybe this had something to do with my problem. Went under the dash and located the alarm control box and unplugged it. Lights works perfect now. This would've been much easier and quicker on me if I had remembered this to begin with.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
AHHHHHHHHHH. that was my next question if there was anything else in there. Does the car still start? I am pretty sure Clifford uses a normally open starter kill so if the alarm is bypassed/killed the car would still not start. I could be wrong as most companies to a normally closed system that if you disconnected it it would not matter, or it might not have been hooked up.

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score
I think it may have been disconnected. Car still starts and no problems thus far.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that's good. Someone dicked up that install pretty good to get the light on while driving. It might be a good idea to drop that panel and trace the wires back to their connections to remove them and insulate the area. its not hard or take much time the crap wiring will be easy to find.

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score
I'll do that when it's not freezing as cold out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.