Door Chime

JTEarp

Reaction score
Hey everybody does your door chime start ringing on the drivers side when you open it and no key in the ignition? Mine does this and it drives me crazy. Especially if I'm doing some work and I leave the door open. Let me know if you know how to disable this thing or if I might have a short somewhere. :help2:

Thanks
James

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Probably your ignition lock is starting to get worn and beat, mine used to to this, I'd just hit it a few times and it would shut up. I replaced the lock last year and it no longer sings to me whilst I work.

OP
OP
J

JTEarp

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Problem solved the ignition switch has some play in it.

ALITL8

Reaction score
yea thanks guys... the Brat's car is doing that all of a sudden and i hadnt taken time to figure it out.

B0mb3r645

Reaction score
cheap? They just probably hit it lol, gotta be a little rough with things that don't want to work your way.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I dunno about other years, but the chyme was a box under my dash, I unpuged it in 97...
It's annoying!

HISSIN50

Reaction score
There's a one wire contact in the lock cylinder (the ignition switch is an electrical item = different). If you yank the lock cylinder you can see the dinky little contact for the chime. If you insulated the contact and remotely-locate it, it wouldnt chime.

The lock cylinder (as mentioned) is prone to breakage. There are 3 pins that hold the collar (with the ears) to the cylinder and the pins shear off. Then your ears will spin 360 (the purpose of the collar and ears is to keep you from bending keys while starting). And when that collar spins, it's hard to line it up to shut the chime off.

I had to make new pins to fix mine (too cheap to get a new cylinder and have it rekeyed).

The key being removable at any time is also a reason for chiming - since one doesnt need to have the key in a given position to remove it, it's easy for the cylinder to be turned toward 'run' just a little bit.

Good luck.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it takes about 5 seconds to replace the ignition cylinder and about $25 including the price of the locksmith to make it so your old key will work it.

To install it you put the key in, turn it to run, push a small hidden button on the bottom with a small screwdriver, and then pull the entire cylinder out with the key. Then you just slide the new one in, turn it to off and your done. Seriously 5 secs, autozone stocks the cylinders and your local locksmith will know what to do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online