Door chime

squirlye

Reaction score
The driver side door chime always chimes. Even if the the key is not in it. It stops chiming when the door is closed, like it's supposed to be. I haven't had the car on the road for 3 years since I've been restoring it. ( Complete brake and suspension upgrade ) I don't remember this being normal before I tore into the car. Has this happened to any one else? It's a 96 GT

Last edited:

07GtS197

Reaction score
Probably door. If you mess with the ignition will it eventually stop? I had the same issue on my old 98 p71, if I played with the ignition it would stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Mine did that. It was the first sign that my ignition cylinder was about to start going bad.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
oh ok then that was one hell of a typo/freudian slip but it does make more sense. As evil said you probably just need to replace/repair the ignition cylinder. They are simple to replace and not that expensive. You would need to take it to a locksmith to have him rekey it I have often wondered if they could not repair the cylinder rather than replacing it.

TrickVert

Reaction score
I had to fix my '87 way back when, and don't know if a new cylinder alone will solve it. I seem to recall there bering a "wiper-style" contact inside the switch assembly that's actually the culprit. My' 95 has ding-ding-itis, too, but I can just bump the cylinder to make it stop. It hasn't bugged me enough yet to tear into it.

OP
OP
squirlye

squirlye

Reaction score
I think Evil is right, my ignition switch has been acting weird for awhile now. If it is the ignition? what about pats system ? Isn’t it connected to the chip in the key. And isn’t that connected to the ignition switch? Or is it somewhere else,but close enough to make it. I’ve never been sure on how that all works.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
pats is in the key, not in the ignition. What you need to do is like I explained above and buy a new cylinder and take it with your old key to a locksmith and they will make the old key fit the new ignition. Then slam it in and yer done

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The pats system just has a ring inside the plastic cover that the cylinder slides through. The ring is what reads the chip. You can remove the cylinder with no issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.