Door ding alarm always on

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
That will fix it for sure and leave one key for everything. There is a chance if you took the old one out and took it to the locksmith that they could repair it. I have never tried it but make a few calls and I bet it could happen. All the parts in it are replacable and something they have on hand from what I understand.

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
So back on point (segue)....

Is the fix a new ignition tumbler but have it keyed by a locksmith?
Just picked up a new tumbler to install, gotta find a YouTube video cause I've never done it. I'm not going to worry about having 2 keys.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Adfalenski

Reaction score
I highly recommend rekeying the new ignition lock to match the doors and trunk. The replacement matched lock sets do not include a replacement trunk lock cylinder. I looked all over including my local Ford dealer and rekeying my trunk lock was $50 by a locksmith(I removed the trunk lock and took it in).

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
I highly recommend rekeying the new ignition lock to match the doors and trunk. The replacement matched lock sets do not include a replacement trunk lock cylinder. I looked all over including my local Ford dealer and rekeying my trunk lock was $50 by a locksmith(I removed the trunk lock and took it in).
Dont have the money right now I'll deal with having 2 keys on my key ring.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
later on if it does bug ya and you have a few bucks you can always have it done then. I think it was only $15-20 as it takes them about 5 mins.

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
later on if it does bug ya and you have a few bucks you can always have it done then. I think it was only $15-20 as it takes them about 5 mins.
Righton I'll keep that in mind thanks:)

The Steve

Reaction score
VERY common problem on Ford products. And as stated, easy to fix. Shame too many people just ignore it.
And on the 1 or 2 keys discussion, yes, Ford has done it both ways.
Just some FYI: IF you have different keys needed and you want a "just one" option, look at the shape of the keys from the end. If they are shaped the same, you can get a blank cut from one key on one side, then copy the other key on the opposite side. Now you have one key fits all locks. You just have to mark it in such a way so you can easily tell which side works what. (Won't work, of course, if you have reversed key profiles - such as was done with a square vs round or oval key head.)

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, I just replaced my ignition lock cylinder on my '95. Here's the "heads up": even though the sleeve on the new cylinder says emphatically "do not rotate the key blah blah blah...." you DO have to rotate the key to the same "run" position that allowed you to removed the old one. Otherwise, the little annoying peg (can't think of its real name right now) won't allow you to shove the new cylinder in! Once you realize that, it takes about 3 seconds to install it! There's only one way it goes in as you'll notice by the grooves, etc in the cylinder wall that marry up to the same in the column.

Again, rotate the key to the "run" position on the new cylinder, shove it in, rotate it back to the off position and remove key. Done!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online