Door Panel Squeak

ElHermanoBlanco

Reaction score
Took a clean, 2004 GT convertible for a test drive today. Really loved the car BUT the panel on the driver's door that holds the window and lock switches squeaked like crazy. Is there a fix for that? Apologies in advance if this been addressed on another thread.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Little bit of foam/sound deadening material can kill just about any squeak or rattle

OP
OP
E

ElHermanoBlanco

Reaction score
Thanks. In considering possible mods for the car, if I buy it, I was thinking of maybe swapping a few interior pieces to match the car's white body (interior's all black). Would be a good time, I guess, to generally tighten things up with a bit of foam/deadening material.

Little bit of foam/sound deadening material can kill just about any squeak or rattle

PinkieT

Reaction score
The window switch panels have a tab at the top that often is broken, making it loose. That might cause the squeak. Once you get the car, GENTLY pry it off starting at the top, wiggle it out, then look for missing tabs, loose plugs, etc. Drive it without the panel and see if it makes the same noise... could be something else in the door.

I just pushed on the one in my wife's car. I know it doesn't squeak when we drive it over the weekend, but when I push on it there is a little squeaking/snapping, kind of like a leather coat makes. I can't see how WD-40 on the points where it touches the door panel would hurt...

My wife painted the switch panels on the doors, radio/HVAC bezel, shifter bezel, instrument bezel, dash vents, defrost vent, passenger air bag, etc. body color on her car and I bought one that was already done that way. We like it. Let me know if you would like pics.

OP
OP
E

ElHermanoBlanco

Reaction score
Thanks. Very helpful. Pics would be great if you would. We will probably pass on the 'vert as my wife found it a bit noisy (top up), and she just generally feels safer in a "hard top" (son-in-law has a Beemer with a retractable roof).

The window switch panels have a tab at the top that often is broken, making it loose. That might cause the squeak. Once you get the car, GENTLY pry it off starting at the top, wiggle it out, then look for missing tabs, loose plugs, etc. Drive it without the panel and see if it makes the same noise... could be something else in the door.

I just pushed on the one in my wife's car. I know it doesn't squeak when we drive it over the weekend, but when I push on it there is a little squeaking/snapping, kind of like a leather coat makes. I can't see how WD-40 on the points where it touches the door panel would hurt...

My wife painted the switch panels on the doors, radio/HVAC bezel, shifter bezel, instrument bezel, dash vents, defrost vent, passenger air bag, etc. body color on her car and I bought one that was already done that way. We like it. Let me know if you would like pics.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online