Down to 2 Suspension Choices - Polling Reccomendations

5SPD GT

Reaction score
Ok guys,

I own a 99 GT Vert, just a weekend driver to local car shows (cruise in's), etc. and some running around during the week. Occasional but very rare 3 hr trip to the beach. Not Daily Driver.

I am ok with firm suspension, not beat you to death & not bouncy.

Down to two suspension choices with $1000.00 for my budget. Here are my two final choices.

Current Wheels: Black Bullet Style = 17x9's front & 17x10.5's on back with 315's

1) BC Racing BR Coil Overs = $995.00

2) H&R SS Springs 2.0F/1.6R, Strange 10 Way shocks, MM Camber Plates, Poly ISO's = $900.00

Which way would you go? H&R's/Strange 10ways are obviously very popular on verts. Coilovers give you options. Height/Dampening Dont know a whole lot about BC Racing

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Strange 10-ways:

I have heard good things and bad things. i personally had a strut seize up on me and Strange basically cold shoouldered me. If you just want a cruiser that has a good mix of handling and ride "comfort", look towards a set of Koni Str.T struts/shocks and couple them with te H&R springs you mentioned.

Also, start a new member thread in the Introductions section, introduce yourself and show off your ride. We love pics and we love to help fellow Mustangers out.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Buy used stuff. . Same money. .

This ^

Why not get Strange 10 ways or Bilsteins paired up with a coilover kit? No many people run the BC coilovers, although I haven't heard anything bad about them.
I have Strange 10 ways on mine and I'm satisfied with them. The adjustability on them is nice just in case I want to stiffen up the suspension when I go really low.

If I were you, I would search the classifieds or the corral for some used Bilsteins and then order the coilovers and CC plates directly from Maximum Motorsports.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
BC coilovers were my choice the second time I decided to do my suspension. But, they are a special order item and will take a few months to get. So I said screw it and got strange 10-ways with coilovers and haven't really thought about anything else. Cut stock springs in the rear seem to ride better than anything as long as you have new shocks IMHO.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
When i was shopping around for suspensions parts i stumbled on a good deal. 400 for a set of used bilstein/roush shocks and struts with low miles, h&r super sports which am price matched to 200, and sr cc plates that were 130. So for 730 i lowered my car with pretty top notch components...

Pay attention to the forums for deals..

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Am I the only one that worries what is the real story as to why someone is selling shocks/struts? I mean I am sure they will tell you they were on for 500 miles and he loved them but just wanted something else, but I would just wonder every day after they were installed how worn out they were and if they really did save me any cash in the long run.

And with those wheels then I would definitely go with option 1 I mean bullets and strange shocks/struts I hear can cause problems with spontaneous black holes forming between the wheel and the shock. Sorry could not resist the sarcasm as I was just surprised to see the wheels listed in a question about suspension.

OP
OP

5SPD GT

Reaction score
ttocs,

The reason I put wheel information in there was to see if anyone would chime in about rear wheel fender rubbing with the wide tire/rim set up. I am like you, leary of used equipment. Was shopping around for some Koni shocks today as an option but seems that everyting they make is on back order for at least another month. I am leaning toward the BC Racing BR Coilvoers. I guess I can be the guinee pig for the forum for future possible buyers.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have the same wheels. My airbag takes the place of the spring but my shocks/struts are by ridetech to but even with that there was no issue of rubbing. The only issue I have heard about those with clearance is the quad shocks and even when I got the wheels with the 335 sumitomos on them they still cleared those.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Hey now.... the reason i got the shocks used is because they came from a reliable source. I bought them of MadStang here on the forum.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy any used suspension parts other than sway bars or springs..

see now I might to some swing arms but springs/sway bars I would just want to be sure they are new and tight myself.

Hey now.... the reason i got the shocks used is because they came from a reliable source. I bought them of MadStang here on the forum.
No need to explain to me why you did what ya did man its your car and if your happy my opinion is not important at all.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would be nervous buying used shocks/struts... Unless its a friend you never know if they were thrashed or not...

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score

Lol it doesn't matter to me man. Just my personal preference is all. Madstang's definitely a reliable source, but besides himself theres not many out there I'd buy off of..

OP
OP

5SPD GT

Reaction score
Well, I posted pic's of my recently purchased car in the "Introductions". I decided to do something experimental and go with the BC Racing BR Coil Overs. I was torn between these and the H&R's but I figured I would do something different and pass on the results to you guys! The BMW guys have great reviews about these, how bad can they be on a Mustang. My mechanic just got them and should be putting them on in the next week or so, Pics to come after install.

Here is what came in the box!

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Coilovers ftw.

Let us know how you like em once they're installed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online