Drag Racing 101

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Ok.I have decided to give the basic Good info for Newbies Racing.I am 35 years old and been Dragracing since the week I got my license at 16.5.
I have had over 10 Street Strip Cars.A couple Turbo Ones.All Nitrous ones.Have tried everything and broke everything.Kinda Know what to do.

Before you go, remove unecessary stuff from the car.Jack, Spare and ETC.
If you are looking to realy launch good.Remove the front sway bar.Best first Tip.It will allow the car to rise up and plant rear tires.

TRACK

1. You are going to need a Helmet Snell 95 or newer.
  2. When you get to track,Open hood and let her cool down from trip.
  3. You will now have to register and bring car to Tech.Inspection.
  4. STOCK TIRES=50psi in front.Allows less rolling resistance.25 in rear.
    DRAGRADIALs=12-15.I like 13 but this can vary.
  5. Enter Staging lanes
  6. RELAX.Be comfortable.
  7. As you are rolling up to the water box,Go around it.Not thru it.Unless you have skinnies on the front,you will bring water up to the start dripping off the front tires.Back into the water,Drag Radials or slicks only.No water for street tires.Small spin.Pull Forward and wait for operator to instruct your burn out.You dont have to go nuts here.Small burn for street tires basically just to clean.Drag radials or slicks.You must do a decent burn.If you dont, DO IT AGAIN .You Just waited along time in the staging lanes and you dont want to waste your run.I would burn till I see smoke then,maybe 5 seconds longer in Second gear.This will be difficult without line lock.You will have to use first gear if your using the brakes.
    Also,If your tires are Brand new.I would drive arround on them for a day.You need to scuff them in.You will not get your best 60ft,s the first time out with them unless they are scuffed in.A heavy Burnout will be necessary.
  8. Pull up and watch the yellow lights.Pull up to the first yellow and stop.Now slowly move forward till second yellow comes on and stop.You are now staged and ready.
  9. VERY IMPORTANT! You new Guys get this wrong all the time. Reaction time means nothing if you are just trying to get your best ET.The timer Does not start till you move and brake the first lazer beam.You could wait for an HOUR and you would still get the corect ET.Reaction time is for racing your oponent or in a class.You do want to try and go right on the green.You will red light if before, but this does not efect your ET.I usually wait to the fourth yellow comes on then I go.
  10. Street tires should let you launch between 2000and 2500.
    ET Drag Radials will let you between 4500 to 5000.This will vary from car to car and track conditions.
  11. If you are realy looking for best times try and go on a day that the track is treated.You will do your best on this day.
  12. 60 FT Numbers are your most critical Tunning info.Every tenth in the 60ft will yield 2 tenths in the Quarter.Try and get your 60ft,s down.Most are around 2.0 with stock tires.1.5,s is what we are trying to get into or past.
  13. Find your max RPM HP table on a Dyno and that is were you want to shift at.Try to get your shifts down smooth.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'll just add a couple thing's to that.

1. Driving around with your 12 12's in the back, five amps, PS3 and all the McD's you've eaten in the past year hurts, bad. Clean your damn car out, at least. Every 100 lbs you lose, is worth .1 So, lose weight, clean the car, get there with 1/4 tank, ditch the spare. That's all stuff that doesn't impact the streetability of your ride, and doesn't cost much either.

2. Unhook your sway bay, deep well 15mm, pop that bad boy off to get your 60' time down.

3. Dub's... No on wants to roll on Teenaged ryams, but, the more sidewal the better when it comes to hooking up (not with your sister, on the track)

That's all that immediatly comes to mind, let's try to keep this thread clean guy's.

No jibber jabber or I will have the mods hit you with their stick!

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing a Drag Racing How to but more with an etiquette as far as tree and water box and just general stuff

bottlefed97

Reaction score
All good advice except for the "25psi in the rear tires". That's stupid, you'll spin like a b*tch.

I run about 12-15 psi in my street tires when I go to the track, and 10 psi in the drag radials.

Untame-d

Reaction score
bottlefed97 said:
All good advice except for the "25psi in the rear tires". That's stupid, you'll spin like a b*tch.

I run about 12-15 psi in my street tires when I go to the track, and 10 psi in the drag radials.

I thought that running streets at that pressure is a risk of blowing your belts or wreck the side walls?

I can't wait for some track times this summer.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Untame-d said:
bottlefed97 said:

I thought that running streets at that pressure is a risk of blowing your belts or wreck the side walls?

I can't wait for some track times this summer.

IT will damage a street tire, but depending on size and sidewall construction and how long ect will then dictate the damage. I dont even run my slicks as low as him, my slicks are 12.5 sometimes 13.25 on the high

bottlefed97

Reaction score
It never seemed to do any damage to my street tires, but I didn't race all that often on them lol

This weekend I ran the D/R's at 12psi

OP
OP

330CubeGt

Reaction score
bottlefed97 said:
It never seemed to do any damage to my street tires, but I didn't race all that often on them lol

I think i have a few pics of your car as well. I have to look through all the pics i took...

bottlefed97

Reaction score
330CubeGt said:
bottlefed97 said:

I think i have a few pics of your car as well. I have to look through all the pics i took...

Let me know if you do! I didn't get any :(

OP
OP

330CubeGt

Reaction score
I had a 2GB Card and did not fill it, Missed Most of the good wheel stands but with moving about all day and having the camera in my pocket by the time i get it out it was to late lol.Got alot of burnout pics tho i was hiding out behind the ford trailer about 15 ft or so from the cars...

Wish i had i nicer camera and a media pass so i could go along the wall and get pics of the cars launching, I wonder how you can get a pass to do that?

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
330CubeGt said:
I had a 2GB Card and did not fill it, Missed Most of the good wheel stands but with moving about all day and having the camera in my pocket by the time i get it out it was to late lol.Got alot of burnout pics tho i was hiding out behind the ford trailer about 15 ft or so from the cars...

Wish i had i nicer camera and a media pass so i could go along the wall and get pics of the cars launching, I wonder how you can get a pass to do that?

oh, but each pic my camera takes is about 10mb in size. so 8gb can actually fill up pretty quick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online