drag racing run down

281powered

Reaction score
i oviously have no idea what i'm doing out there and need your guys help ???

Question.1 - so how much does your 60 ft time effect the rest of your times? for example my best was 2.248 which netted me 1/8 mile 9.475 @ 76.22mph 1/4 mile 14.628 @94.26mph. the rest were between 2.3 and 2.4 60ft, how much would it improve with a 2.0 60ft?

Question.2 - do you think i should be revin it out to 6000rpm in first gear out of the hole or shift earlyer, seemed like i was in gear to long and not really pulling anymore and then when i hit second i think my revs are up to high and out of my powerband so it kinda the same feeling, just not pulling really hard, doesn't slam me back in the seat like when i short shift 1st to 2nd on the street?

Question.3 - what should i shift at through the rest of the gears like 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th

Question.4 - how much does power shiftin help, i've never done it? i do have a stock clutch.

Question.5 - what the best way to launch? i always go from idle other wise i get massive wheel spin.

AND THE BIG QUESTION!!! what do you think my car is caple of running with somebody behind the wheel that knows what there doing. my track elevation is 30ft above sea level and track prep isn't bad and my tires are near new zr 17s? just wanna know how far off i am :-\

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
1. The rule of thumb is that every tenth off of your 60 equals two tenths in your ET.

2. I know that mod motors like to rev a bit higher than pushrod motors, but try shifting a little sooner to see if it helps. If you don't have a shift light, and are going by the factory tach . . . you are way over 6000 when shifting.

3. See number 2.

4. Power shifting can get you a couple of tenths . . maybe a bit more. BUT, its very hard on stock trannys.

5. The best way to launch is on sticky tires . . those 17s aren't helping you. If you have to use those tires, give it just enough gass that you get a minimum amount of spin. (I say this after I hit my slicks so hard off the line last night that I smoked em like a funny car . . lol).

WyoTechMSA

Reaction score
Try heating your tires some, and when you launch dont just drop the clutch, feather it out a little. Your GT is gonna launch best between 2-2200rpm. Dont shift at 6000, you arent making power there anymore. Id try 56-5700rpm shifts. Definitely wouldnt powershift too much with a stock clutch and trans, especially not on a prepped track, or else you might :rockyou: your car. And my last piece of advice, just have fun. Dont take it too seriously. If you do you will end up not having fun because you are to worried about what other people think about your car and your driving skills. Just go out there, give it your best and enjoy knowing that you are ripping on your car, and dont have to worry about anything but your car, and the track.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Wouldn't deflating the rear tires to 20ish psi help? :dunno:

97GTS

Reaction score
your 94.26mph seems kinda low for a PI cam/intake car. couple of my buddy's are trapping 98-99mph in their PI cam/intake cars.

94blackGT

Reaction score
I know in my car, which probably doesn't help seeing as mines a 5.0L, I launch at 22-2500rpm on my 245-45-17 street tires. My 60fts are 2.2, too much spin. I have 3.55 gears. I am crossing the 1/4 at [email protected]. Top of 3rd gear about 6000rpm.

My mods, are Gears, Headers, Side exhaust, pulleys.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
TRUUBLE said:
1. The rule of thumb is that every tenth off of your 60 equals two tenths in your ET.

2. I know that mod motors like to rev a bit higher than pushrod motors, but try shifting a little sooner to see if it helps. If you don't have a shift light, and are going by the factory tach . . . you are way over 6000 when shifting.

3. See number 2.

4. Power shifting can get you a couple of tenths . . maybe a bit more. BUT, its very hard on stock trannys.

5. The best way to launch is on sticky tires . . those 17s aren't helping you. If you have to use those tires, give it just enough gass that you get a minimum amount of spin. (I say this after I hit my slicks so hard off the line last night that I smoked em like a funny car . . lol).

:thumb:

Roadkiller

Reaction score
I agree in general with what's been said, but disagree with some specifics :)

I'd shift a bit sooner, about 5K (on the stock tach). By the time you react you'll be at 5200+ anyway.
Really don't recommend powershifting on the stock tranny, practice "speed" shifting instead, it's a easier on the equipment.

This article isn't a bad read about launching: http://www.modernracer.com/tips/dragracinglaunchtechniques.html

Personally I don't use the e-brake to help launch. I depress the clutch with my left foot, hold my right heel on the brake and push the gas with the ball of that foot. To launch release the clutch (don't just drop it or you'll be spinning) and rotate the heel off the brake. Finesse is necessary here to get a good hard launch (right RPM range, proper speed to let off the clutch) but the good thing is you can practice at any empty lot. When you're ready, take your new found skills to the track.

But, like someone said, just have fun! If you're bracket racing, just pick a number that's real for you and don't worry about how it looks. Precision will win the day for you anyway!

ALITL8

Reaction score
good info!

im still trying to figure it all out as well. my best time ever is a [email protected] with a 2.23 60'. the last time i went out all i could manage was a mess of 15.0xx's. im going back Oct. 28th to test out the chip and tune (96 octane tune) on a new set of Nitto 315/35/17 DR's... we'll see how it goes :dunno:

with any luck i'll be able to get my torque boxes welded up, my subframes installed and throw on these weight jacker LCA's ive got sitting in the living room. high hopes, i know, but it would be nice ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online