Drag Radials or Slicks

Boosted_Cobruh

Reaction score
Next week i'll be running my car at San Antonio Raceway and i was wondering if you guys can help me pick out the perfect tires for my 98 Cobra with a V1 blower. So far the car has ran a best of 12.6 with a 2.1 60 foot and i'm aiming for a 11 sec pass. Any help would be appreciated.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
If you want to break axles, go with slicks. If you want a decent improvement in ET's, go with drag radials. Slicks with a 5 speed car with stock axles is asking for trouble. But the 60 foot will be slightly better.

cameron57

Reaction score
Stick cars do better with slicks than a radial. Mickey thompson says to use a slick on a stick. But yes you can break stuff.

SLOW95GTS

Reaction score
You should use bias plys mickey thompsons, drag radial cause damage because of the stiffer sidewall and it wont absorb the launch as much but your gonna break something anyway.

Doodler

Reaction score
I just run NT05r drag radials. Depending on how well the track is prepped, breaking axels is always a possiblilty regardless of type of tire. If you have an extra set of rims, I say go for it and run slicks. Trailer might not be a bad idea though versus changing them at the track.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
Your axle can break just as well from DR's as they do from slicks. I've used both, I've always prefered slicks they are just more of a PITA b/c you have to change them at the track, cant drive to and from like with DR's

Chris111

Reaction score
Slicks are far more forgiving than radials as stated above.

Slicks provide a "cushion" like effect to the hard hits of shifting. Watching slow motion launches display this well.
Radials just simply don't have the flex which causes breakage.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Slicks for sure on a stick car . I like to leave at like At 5300 rpm . I've never tried drag radials with a stick at the track because of the stiff sidewall . I'm thinking of giving them a try this year . I know I'll end up going right back to slicks

RedTwilight

Reaction score
Your axle can break just as well from DR's as they do from slicks. I've used both, I've always prefered slicks they are just more of a PITA b/c you have to change them at the track, cant drive to and from like with DR's

Slicks are far more forgiving than radials as stated above.

Slicks provide a "cushion" like effect to the hard hits of shifting. Watching slow motion launches display this well.
Radials just simply don't have the flex which causes breakage.

Slicks for sure on a stick car . I like to leave at like At 5300 rpm . I've never tried drag radials with a stick at the track because of the stiff sidewall . I'm thinking of giving them a try this year . I know I'll end up going right back to slicks

What these guys said! For a stick car, go with a slick or bias plys as it'll cushion the hit on the launch.

Drag radials will either spin or dead hook! Last year I broke 3 stock axles on my '93 coupe with drag radials. This year I upgraded to Strange 31 spline race axles. They held but the ring and pinion gears sheared some teeth. And my '93 is making way less power than you are.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online