Drag Slick Help

blackdemon007

Reaction score
Need some help here guys.
I just purchased a set of drag wheels from AM, hoping to set them up with slicks for drag racing this year.
However I have never used slicks before and can't really find the answer I am looking for.
Need to know what you guys recommend for my setup: Brand, size, with/wout inner tube, etc?

Rim: http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-drag-15x8-9404.html

Car: 98 Mustang GT Vert
Should dyno around 300 hp / 300 tq
T45 - rebuilt stock with Stage 2 clutch kit with lightweight steel flywheel
Ford Racing driveshaft
Built rear end (axles, diff and 4.10 gears)

Another question is will a standard tire shop mount the slicks?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
26x10.00 or 26x10.50 et street slick from Mickey Thompson would be great

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1, I run a 26" M/T ET Drag with no tubes. You will find a 50/50 split with guys saying to run tubes vs. not needing to. I had a regular tire shop mount mine but the owner is a big drag racer so he knows what he's doing when it comes to slicks.

OP
OP
blackdemon007

blackdemon007

Reaction score
+1, I run a 26" M/T ET Drag with no tubes. You will find a 50/50 split with guys saying to run tubes vs. not needing to. I had a regular tire shop mount mine but the owner is a big drag racer so he knows what he's doing when it comes to slicks.

Where did you go, I'm pretty close to your location?

Rob04Mach1

Reaction score
Ya what he said. Run a 26 x 10 or 10.5 and no problem getting a regular shop to mount them. I run 26 x 12.5 ET Street Drag Radials on the Street but I have 10.5 Wheels

As for tube or not to tube as said everyone has an opinion.
The experts will tell you the main reason you use a tube is because a tubeless slick has to add an extra piece of rubber molded into the tire and you dont want it because it affects the performance of a slick. They also say a tube is better for consistency and without it the slick will slowly lose air and if you dont keep up with it you can ruin the slick. However the experts will also tell you if ET is your game and all you care about is the fastest ET then tubeless is the way to go and just make sure you check the pressure before each and every run.

I've had both and on many different vehicles and to be honest I never saw an advantage with tubes and never had a loss of air problem with tubeless so I usually just go tubeless, LOL...

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea I've always ran tubeless . I currently have 28x12.50-15's but they're not legal in the small tire class so I'm down sizing

RedTwilight

Reaction score
Are you planning to run any bracket races? Are you looking for a straight up slick or something with a DOT stamp?

Mickey Thompson ET 26x10 or 10.5 is a great tire. A 28 x 10.5 will fit also with a little fender lip massaging. Make sure you match the roll out for both tires. My dad, my brother, and myself as well as plenty of racers at the track run them tubeless.

With the manual transmission you will definitely want a bias ply tire. If you are needing a tire with a DOT stamp the new ET Street R bias ply tire is AWESOME!! It hooks great, recovers well, and is pretty consistent.

It's also a great looking tire! Basically it's the ET slick with a couple of lines cut into it.
20160312_084153.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pic mounted on my '93 notch!
20160313_112259.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online