Dragon Slayer - 1995 Mustang GT Build Thread - Now With 100 Percent More IRS

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
NCM_0742_zps9mb0zhf1.jpg

Left the front ride height at the measurements it had before the coilovers so he can still get it up and down his driveway for the moment (it's a bumpy, muddy mess right now), but it'll get a lot more low once the IRS goes in and gets coilovers out back too.

NCM_0744_zpsmfquq02r.jpg

NCM_0745_zpsbkaqb73k.jpg

NCM_0743_zpsddl8krcz.jpg

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
Turn in is MUCH, MUCH quicker. Bumpsteer is noticeable at the moment since I didn't bother putting the bump steer kit on since a flaming river rack is in the cards pretty soon and didn't want to have to align it twice (it's pretty close right now). The really stiff front springs (400lbs/in) and the unknown brand/rate rear lowering springs make it a bit twitchy at the moment, but when the IRS is in and upgraded it should handle ridiculously.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
NCM_0742_zps9mb0zhf1.jpg

Left the front ride height at the measurements it had before the coilovers so he can still get it up and down his driveway for the moment (it's a bumpy, muddy mess right now), but it'll get a lot more low once the IRS goes in and gets coilovers out back too.

NCM_0744_zpsmfquq02r.jpg

NCM_0745_zpsbkaqb73k.jpg

NCM_0743_zpsddl8krcz.jpg

looking great! Can't wait to see that driveway smoothed out and the car slammed

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
Just ordered a new (rebuilt) power steering rack and hoses to go along with the new power steering pump that's already here. Should be here sometime next week so I can install the rack/lines, pump, new MM solid shaft, and bump steer kit sometime next weekend. Then it'll be time to play the waiting game until he gets his tax refund and then we'll be picking up an 03/03 IRS and kitting that install sorted out before it goes in for an alignment all the way around.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford mag had a small article about rebuilt Mustang steering racks. They claimed not all Mustang steering racks are the same, even if they are same year v6/v8 and the rebuilding houses dont know the differences, so you wind up with a v6 rack instead of a v8 rack and the diffrence is important. Ill try to get a pic of the article and post it here for you.

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
Started a new job last Monday and had a bunch of stuff I needed to get done on other projects before I started that and that slowed down progress on the Mustang a bit. Finally got a chance to work on it a little today though.

Swapped spacers around on the top of the coilovers so there's .75" more drop on each side without compressing the springs any, which will be handy later. The rack is also off as is the power steering pump and lines. New/rebuilt pump and rack along with new lines, MM solid shaft, and MM bumpsteer kit will be going back on it hopefully tomorrow and then that should have the front suspension and steering completely finished.

Also swapped on a new, shorter main ground wire as well as the old one was a little too long. Need to do something about the old positive cable as well while I have it as it is old and corroded. Chasing a loose connection somewhere that surfaces when the car lurches over bumps or when transitioning from forward to reverse and vice versa where the car tries to die out, but never quite does. It makes the head unit lose power and the speakers make a popping noise as well which is annoying. Hopefully redoing the main power and ground wires to the battery will solve the issue as they were old and nasty and didn't really wanna stay tight with lots of fiddling, so hoping it's that and not something that's buried under the dash somewhere.

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
Bunch of things came up and just now getting the car temporarily back on it's feet. Need to raise it back up and get a little more low out of the driver's front then it's off to get an alignment and then I can adjust the bump steer. Also ordered some MM full length sub-frame connectors, upper and lower torque box kit, a hood strut kit, and a new shift knob to go in next time I get a chance too today. IRS swap will have to wait until June since my friend got boned on his taxes lol...

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
Car has been aligned (MUCH better now), old subframe connectors which weren't doing shit have been cut off, and the new MM full length subframe connectors have been tacked in. Going to finish up welding in the morning and then it'll be ready for the road again. :cool:

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
Subframe connectors are finished. Went to put on the new MMD hoods struts and it turns out they're a no go with a Stalker hood and Caster/Camber plates without mods. I'll get pics tomorrow when I'm done modifying them...

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
Soo much for the hood struts, the Stalker hood continues to cause issues. Fixed the mounting bracket but the hood won't close with the struts on because of a lip on the outside edge that won't clear the end of the strut. Will have to circle back around to those later when i have more time...

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That sucks about the hood struts. The fit was money on my stock hood, and it's sooooooo much nicer not to have the prop rod.

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
Thread bump. So one of two things is going to happen shortly after the start of the month.

1) This is the preferred route. I may have a line on a cheap-ish wrecked Terminator. If I can manage to snag it, then I'll be selling the engine and parting out everything else as well with the exception of the IRS, front brakes, T56, and drive shaft. Once the engine sells there should be enough money to give the IRS the full Maximum Motorsports treatment and the T56 and Cobra brakes will be going on at the same time as well.

2) This is plan B in case the Cobra deal falls through. My friend will purchase all of the MM stuff and then sit on it until he can swing an IRS assembly around September/October or so.

I'm trying to get my shop built in the interim as well and man is it ever a pain in the ass to get grading/concrete people to show up around here. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
Here's the list of parts that will eventually wind up being used for the upgraded IRS swap with part numbers:

03-04 Cobra IRS
Rear Differential GasketLLR-F880
Rear Axle GirdleMM-4033-G3
IRS Grip BoxMMRG-22
Rear MM2 Shock x2BE5-2959-MM2
Rear IRS Coilover KitCOP=4
Cross-Axis Joint Upgrade KitMMIRSB-3
Racing Rear Upper Shock MountMMSM-7
Cobra Flange Yoke
F1465268
Upper and Lower Torque Box Kit2016-UL
Sway Bar Kit3590.32
Conversion U-Joint448

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
Now with 100% less tarp:

NCM_0838_zpsz0zuguux.jpg

Turns out it already had a diff brace and poly diff mount plus a bumpsteer kit of a currently unknown brand.

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
Working on getting my shop up right now. Slab should be poured next week and then the building should be up by the end of the month or early July and then I'll just have to get it wired up and set up the compressor and lift and we'll be ready to tackle the IRS swap. Already have the brake stuff, flange, conversion u joint, and the new exhaust sitting here ready to go and will be ordering a bunch more Maximum Motorsports stuff between now and the install as well. Here's a sneak peak of the shop building lol:

Before:
NCM_0828_zpsbjfczmmw.jpg

After:
NCM_0842_zpslwj86aoz.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online