Draining coolant ?

ko 5.0

Reaction score
Ok, just drained my anti freeze out of the raditor, it was shit brown. I took off both radiator hoses and it came flowing out. THen i flushed it with clean water. Anyway it says I should drain it out of the engine block, but i can't find the drain plugs. Any help would be appreciated.

And will it hurt the car to have no antifreeze in it for the next couple of days, I'm not planning on driving it, but it is suppose to get down to freezing on Tuesday night.

thanks

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I never have drained it out of the block, just the rad then I start it up with water and flush about 4 times, then use that rad flush then flush 2 more times...sparkly clean after that

S

scarface

I drained the Rad, then took out the thermostat, reinstaled the housing. Took off the upper Rad hose from the rad, and started to fill it up. I let the water run until it ran clean out of the upper pipe on the rad. That fushed the block and the rad.

THen I took off the lower hose and let both drain. Reconnected/installed everything and filled to specs.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
what ya could have done is start the motor with the heater on, then pull the peacock valve and start adding water....when the liquid draining becomes clear add 50/50 until the liquid draining is green, and walla, you just flushed your radiator, lines, engine, heater core. :thumb:

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
95KBGT said:
what ya could have done is start the motor with the heater on, then pull the peacock valve and start adding water....when the liquid draining becomes clear add 50/50 until the liquid draining is green, and walla, you just flushed your radiator, lines, engine, heater core. :thumb:

Good idea Paul, but just be careful not to get any air in your cooling system. Air in cooling system= Very bad

S

scarface

95KBGT said:
wow, never though of that...just have to make sure your thermostat doesnt close while the water runs throught it.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
someone should help me out with this because iono what the peacock valve is. is the method paul mentioned safe because you guys said some stuff about making sure the thermostat wasnt closed. my coolant is very low right now so i bought some more and figured i should flush it out because i haven't done it since ive owned the car (almost a year) and theres no telling how long it was done before that.

S

scarface

its a petcock valve, I think? Its a valve on the radiator...It looks like a big nut, or a wingnut, you turn it and coolant comes out.

ripper

Reaction score
Dont leave just water in there if its gonna be real cold 5.0 it will freeze in there and cause problems. So if you open the valve you gonna let the anti-freeze drain were in a big pan? Theres like 3 gals in there isnt it?

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
The petcock valve is on the bottom of the radiator (passenger side on my stang i dunno about all other years). it basically looks like a wingnut with a tube in the center.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
I would always flush and refill my coolant in my mustang
once every year.

zennx

Reaction score
what did you guys use to take off the 2 drain plugs? I got an allen wrench to fit in there but it's so high to reach from underneath and it's hard to get torque on it to break it free. If I try to use any of the sockets that have the allen or star bits on them it doesn't clear my header. Any ideas?

Steeda98GT

Reaction score
What sux is that I never really did a coolant flush to often and then my heater core went out and then I heard that if you dont flush your coolant at least once a year that you get buildup in the heater core. So is this true? And if so i wonder if i reconnect the hoses to my heater core and get it flushed if that could fix it. Any input is greatly appreciated and saving me $700 bucks from having Ford change out my heater core.

mich_666

Reaction score
theres drain plugs on the side of the block... if i remember correctly... small little thing on each side.
make sure u throw anti freeze in because water freezing in your block may crack the block.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online