Dream Car Build Thread: My Toyota Supra

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Well, today I finally did it. I purchased my dream car: a 97 Toyota Supra. I'm still in shock and can't believe this just happened. I lucked into this car to say the least. After leaving Furious 7, I checked the usual websites and ran across a silver Supra 15 miles away from my house that had just been listed a few hours before. I quickly contacted the guy, looked at it today, and took her home. While it has its share of flaws, it is a great 10 footer which is all that matters to me right now. Also, I got it for the second cheapest price I've seen a Supra go for so that also helps me get over the flaws. :D Anyway, here's the info. 97 Supra, originally white, painted silver. 108k miles, runs and drives perfect. Bone stock mechanically. NA automatic. It came with a horrendous looking body kit and some fairly valuable Racing Hart wheels that I'll sell. It does have a branded title due to theft (seems to be very common for these cars). Right now the only plans for it are to de-rice it, clean it up, and put coilovers and wheels on it.

How I got the car.

The first move was taking of the fugly eyelids.

Then the full body kit was pulled off.

Some of the factory parts that came with it thankfully.

Starting to remove the system. The entire interior will be coming out for an extensive cleaning.

And how the outside looks as of now. I threw on a set of crappy XXR's for rollers for now.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome stuff! I have a friend that is crazy about them, but won't settle for anything less than a LHD turbo manual one. Needless to say he'll be search a long time!

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Hope you have deep pockets. A friend owns a Supra shop (FSR Motorsports Creations), and modifying these cars isn't cheap at all. Then again the people who own them tend to spring for the very best of everything, so I'm not surprised at all. Those cars make insane power all day long.

chris91

Reaction score
Wow nice pick up man! Havent seen those Racing Harts in YEARS! You just going to make it look good or do you have plans of swapping in a turbo setup?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can't remember what year it was but a guy I knew from high school had an uncle buy a NA version. I happened to line up next to him back when the 94 was bone stock and it was a dead even race right till I had to shift. He didn't beat me by much but he did.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As much as I am disappointed that it's a n/a auto with a body kit, I know you'll do this car right. Congrats on acquiring your dream car. At your age that must be a great feeling.

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, yeah the NA part is kinda a downer, but from what I've seen I can put a decent NA-T turbo kit on it for about $3000 if I choose to take the car that far. I'm not sure if I'll go all out on this one or not, I might end up fixing all of the little stuff that's wrong with it and sell it. Then I can start the wait for a nice TT car, but then again with this one being fairly devalued I can feel free to drive it and enjoy it. If I had a 40k TT car, I would have a very hard time enjoying it.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Sweet car, man. I love me a MkIV.

Given that you can take that car to 1750rwhp (9:1 compression, 90mm single, 30psi, 200hp spool-up shot), the quest for power is never ending... so, start with dialing in that suspension and the brakes. Then move on to a torsen clutchless limited slip differential and the twin turbo six speed. After you have all the bugs worked out with your suspension and your six speed swap, THEN stick a single 61mm turbo on a Treadstone turbo manifold and call it good.

Or at least that's how I would approach it... and I have thought about it a lot, daydream-designed a million different MkIV Supras, been wanting one since I was like eight, wben first come out.

Sweet car, man. Do it it how you see fit.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
No. Left hand drive models are the norm, even with import cars like the Supra. Finding a Supra with the steering wheel on the wrong side is still pretty rare. Some people go out of their way to get direct import RHD models, but they are the exception, not the rule.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Nice pickup!

I had several Supras when I was in my 20's the last was a 95 Turbo I bought new. I can't believe they are basically selling for @ the same price as they were new in the 90's.

Probably my favorite though was my 89 Targa Top. It wasn't close to the car my 95 was but I had a lot of fun with it.

Love those Racing Hart wheels, I had some C5's on my 93 RX7 Turbo and always got compliments on them.

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
I was hoping to see a build thread on this. I think I know that car. (I was the one that commented on your instagram pic) Did you buy it from a college aged guy?

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Not to sound like too big of an @sshole, but what the f!ck is a "college aged guy" these days? I mean, wouldn't it literally been easier, not to mention much more understandable, to just give an approximate age?

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Good purchase! If all your other builds weren't your true dream car, I can't wait to see what you do to this one

Sinned83

Reaction score
Nice pick up. I grew up around these cars. My mom had several lol. Fun cars for sure until they break

Caboose302

Reaction score
Good score! I've always liked the lines of the last gen supra. Just usually hated the guys driving them.

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Seeing one of these cars in NC is a RARE occasion. I've only seen 3 in person until I bought this one. They're that rare. I still can't believe after all of this time waiting around I finally own one, it's crazy.

I was hoping to see a build thread on this. I think I know that car. (I was the one that commented on your instagram pic) Did you buy it from a college aged guy?

The car was owned by a guy that's probably 35 years old, maybe younger. He had the car since 2001 so he's got to be pretty old.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Can you guys import them?
The LHD are a bit uncommon, LHD turbo manual are super rare. RHD ones are fairly common here, not as common as subbies or r32 though.

Excited to see the build!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Can you guys import them?
The LHD are a bit uncommon, LHD turbo manual are super rare. RHD ones are fairly common here, not as common as subbies or r32 though.

Excited to see the build!

They were sold here just like a Camry, no need to import them and all sold here were LHD.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010