Drive belt length disagreement from internet/ford/auto parts stores

FortyFiveAuto

Reaction score
In returning my 1994 mustang to its (basically) stock configuration, I have noted some differences in the drive belt lengths recommended.

In the common routing diagrams found on the internet, the stock length is listed as 104.5". I called Ford and they recommended belt JK6-1063, which as I understand from the designation number is 106.25" long.

The belt I got at O'Reilly was 88.125" long, as listed for a stock 1994 GT.

Why so much disagreement?

Reaction score
maybe different areas of the states use different parts (i.e California having different laws regarding smog so ca cars have parts on them from the factory that may not be on cars from say Oregon or Nevada). i would look at the manual from ford and use that as a reference first (104.5 i believe) and then go from there. or i bet a bunch of other members here know why.

OP
OP
F

FortyFiveAuto

Reaction score
You might be right.

I went to AutoZone and they asked me if the car had dealer A/C or factory A/C, because evidently it makes a difference on the belt length. I wonder what the difference is between factory and dealer A/C (seems like something that came from the dealer would by default come from the manufacturer, but what do I know?)

I opted for a 105.5" (factory A/C) belt, and I didn't even have to use the tensioner to put it on. Just kinda squeezed the belt under the idler pulley. Took it for a spin, seems to work fine.

I imagine a 106.3" belt would have had too much play. I almost went back and got it an inch shorter per the internet diagram specification. From now on I'll believe everything I read on the internet. :thumbsup:

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't even have to use the tensioner to put it on. Just kinda squeezed the belt under the idler pulley. Took it for a spin, seems to work fine.

You're going to regret that after it's on there for a while and it breaks in a bit.

It'll come off at the most inopportune time too... They always do.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah using a belt without the tensioner might be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard of. The first time that belt gets good and warmed up it will stretch. That's why cars have tensioners, so they can take up the slack when the belt stretches a tad and to compensate as it wears over time.

Hope you have AAA.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

ranger56528

Reaction score
Unless I do not have the original belt(blown off on the road) I always measure for the new belt and write down the number in the book or put the belt jacket in the trunk,I've also just tore the number off the jacket and Put in glovebox too. I went through 4 different belt sizes on the 95 GT as I changed things and 2 on the 98.
When dealing with 3 to 6 different pulleys and pulley sizes it can be tuff trying to order a belt over the counter or by phone if you don't measure what you have or had and give enough length for the idler also.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The irony is that he asked here to probably save time or make it easier and hopefully save cash by not getting the wrong part. Obviously it would take all of 2 mins to run a piece of string around the pullies and then measure it to be sure its correct which would have got the right belt the first time and not had to worry about it. As they said running no tensioner is just a ticking time bomb.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online