Drive Shaft

Boostr1

Reaction score
Anybody redo their own as in wire wheel, replace u joints, and paint. It's hard to find HD u joints for automatics. Can anybody direct me where I can get some HD u joints for my particular driveshaft and maybe some tips. The Axle Exchange wants like 350 to refurb mine... includes balance though.

Thanks

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Would be better just to get an aluminum ones. Are auto u joints different? I though the yoke was different in length but other wise they were the same

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You want to put new ends on it and paint it? Seems like a lot more work and about the same money as replacing with an aluminum one for no gain in performance.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Auto and manual use the same shaft and u-joint. The yoke is different. I’ve done a bunch of driveshafts but never went out of my way to get a heavy duty u-joint. I use a ballpoint press (big, heavy ass c clamp) to get them apart.

lutter94

Reaction score
Auto and manual use the same shaft and u-joint. The yoke is different. I’ve done a bunch of driveshafts but never went out of my way to get a heavy duty u-joint. I use a ballpoint press (big, heavy ass c clamp) to get them apart.

Pretty sure I didn't mess with my driveshaft swapping from an AODE to a T5.....

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score

Ok, weird I'm always seeing for manual, or AODE up to 97. I know the yoke is different.
is there a special tool to get the clips out?

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Honestly, I have no idea. I don’t really think it’s power as much as it is shock that breaks them. If you’re dumping the clutch and launching the car all the time, then you may have a problem.

Well, it's an auto so I won't be dumping any clutches.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Crap, I didn't mark my driveshaft and pinion flange. Going to have to check to see if the factory marks are still visible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.