Drivers leather seat is jacked, what's the options?

sho89mtx

Reaction score
My car's black leather seats are in pretty good condition overall. The front passenger has no rips or tears and the backseat is immaculate, but my front drivers seat is all ripped up. What's my best option to get that fixed? Upholstery shop? A cool leather seat cover that looks like the original? etc? Don't want to spend a bunch of money just for one seat.

thanks in advance,
Scott

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You could try to find a used one but most of the drivers seats are the ones that are screwed up.

TMI sell replacements but I think only as a front set so maybe your local upholstery shop is a good place to start to at least get a price.

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
You could try to find a used one but most of the drivers seats are the ones that are screwed up.

TMI sell replacements but I think only as a front set so maybe your local upholstery shop is a good place to start to at least get a price.

ok, thanks for the advice!

lutter94

Reaction score
Keep us updated with what you learn! Curious if TMI Vinyl or Leather matches close to oem. I have a feeling they might not match perfect, thus recommending replacing the front pair

bluex

Reaction score
TMI will send you samples if you request them. If you get prices like I did for redoing the front two seats then for about $100 more you can do them all with new foam for the fronts. I was getting quotes of 250 each to redo the fronts and reparing the foam as needed.

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
Keep us updated with what you learn! Curious if TMI Vinyl or Leather matches close to oem. I have a feeling they might not match perfect, thus recommending replacing the front pair
So far after doing my research since my car is silver and black on the outside, I found the stock cobra seats with black leather and gray suade in the middle would be perfect replacements for mine and i might eventually shell out the money on some used ones eventually. I don't think fixing it right now would be worth the money and those racing seats basically make your power seats useless, so that's not an option for me. I like the Mach 1 seats too, so probably waiting on someone parting out those

lutter94

Reaction score
TMI does cobra, mach, and bullit replacements also....looks to be good quality. Just $$

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
when you recover that drivers seat....that passenger seat will suddenly look like ass lol. i'd redo both and be done.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
So far after doing my research since my car is silver and black on the outside, I found the stock cobra seats with black leather and gray suade in the middle would be perfect replacements for mine and i might eventually shell out the money on some used ones eventually. I don't think fixing it right now would be worth the money and those racing seats basically make your power seats useless, so that's not an option for me. I like the Mach 1 seats too, so probably waiting on someone parting out those

i have the power seat track on my racing style seat. just takes a little drilling and they fit/work like a charm.

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
when you recover that drivers seat....that passenger seat will suddenly look like ass lol. i'd redo both and be done.
lol, no, I'm saying that i'm gonna replace everything with cobra seats, i'm obviously not gonna just do one perfect seat and the rest used and cracked, that would look ridiculous =)

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
lol, no, I'm saying that i'm gonna replace everything with cobra seats, i'm obviously not gonna just do one perfect seat and the rest used and cracked, that would look ridiculous =)

hahaa yea i seen that after i posted lol. my bad. but yea man...can't go wrong with cobra seats

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
TMI does cobra, mach, and bullit replacements also....looks to be good quality. Just $$
ok, so I checked out the cobra seats from tmi, vinyl unisuade replacements and that's a good price for two $455, but can someone tell me what all that entails? It says something about you have to buy seat foams? Does that mean we have to go to the salvage yard and buy the foams and then sow it on our selfs and install them? How the heck do people know how to do that? I must be missing something here

bluex

Reaction score
ok, so I checked out the cobra seats from tmi, vinyl unisuade replacements and that's a good price for two $455, but can someone tell me what all that entails? It says something about you have to buy seat foams? Does that mean we have to go to the salvage yard and buy the foams and then sow it on our selfs and install them? How the heck do people know how to do that? I must be missing something here

You have to get new foam from TMI to go with their upholstery. You take the old covers and foam off and throw them away. the new foam sits on the seat frame, you hog ring it to the foam in the middle and clip it over the sides on the bottom. The seat back is a little harder as you have to turn it inside out and then slide it down over the foam while hog ringing the middle. at the bottom of it is another clip. No sewing involved....

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
You have to get new foam from TMI to go with their upholstery. You take the old covers and foam off and throw them away. the new foam sits on the seat frame, you hog ring it to the foam in the middle and clip it over the sides on the bottom. The seat back is a little harder as you have to turn it inside out and then slide it down over the foam while hog ringing the middle. at the bottom of it is another clip. No sewing involved....
so overall how long would it take a novice? Also why don't they just include the seat foams in the price and act like we have to put the set together ourselves, kinda weird to me?

bluex

Reaction score
Plan on it taking an entire weekend if your doing it all at once. I probably had about 4 hrs in redoing the back seat and another 4 in the fronts. That doesnt include removing them from the car. I also used the opportunity to completely clean the rest of the interior while the seats were out.

http://www.tmiproducts.com/mustang/

If you havent looked there they have very good installation instructions for there products along with videos on you tube so you can see what all is involved. You can always buy the kit and have a uphlostery shop install it if you think its to involved for you. Its not to bad you just need to take your time and have paticence.

I dont know why they dont include front foams with the kits, since they say they are required I think they should to but I guess they leave that option up to you. I know on 96-98 cars the seat cover is glued to the foam and thats why you need them for those. You will also need them if you want to go to a cobra/mach style seat from a V6/GT since the bolsters are different.

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
Plan on it taking an entire weekend if your doing it all at once. I probably had about 4 hrs in redoing the back seat and another 4 in the fronts. That doesnt include removing them from the car. I also used the opportunity to completely clean the rest of the interior while the seats were out.

http://www.tmiproducts.com/mustang/

If you havent looked there they have very good installation instructions for there products along with videos on you tube so you can see what all is involved. You can always buy the kit and have a uphlostery shop install it if you think its to involved for you. Its not to bad you just need to take your time and have paticence.

I dont know why they dont include front foams with the kits, since they say they are required I think they should to but I guess they leave that option up to you. I know on 96-98 cars the seat cover is glued to the foam and thats why you need them for those. You will also need them if you want to go to a cobra/mach style seat from a V6/GT since the bolsters are different.

Ok, thanks for all the info. I'll have to think about it. If I were to buy some used Cobra seats, will they be a direct fit?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online