Drivers Side Cylinder Head Noisy

95_GTS

Reaction score
So here I was troubleshooting Code 122, where I determined it was a bad TPS. As soon as it ranked up after sitting for a few days, the RPMs jumped to @6K. So I immediately shut the car off, performed a quick visual, and found the Cruise Control arm flipped around and hung up on the EGR tube.

I started it back up and at that time is when I noticed the driver's side cylinder (AFR 185) head was noisy (ticking/clacking).

Possibly a valve spring broken?

Thoughts?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
One way to find out for sure: crack her open and look/poke around. I had a similar sound on my AFR heads on my old ‘64 ChevyII. Turned out to be just a loose rocker arm. Ez Pz

OP
OP
95_GTS

95_GTS

Reaction score
One way to find out for sure: crack her open and look/poke around. I had a similar sound on my AFR heads on my old ‘64 ChevyII. Turned out to be just a loose rocker arm. Ez Pz
Got her back apart and found out 90% of them on both sides are loose, especially the driver's side where all the noise was coming from.

OP
OP
95_GTS

95_GTS

Reaction score
I also noticed that a lot of them were not perpendicular with each other.

So I should loosen each one, verify lash, half turn, lock it down, then another quarter turn?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It wouldn’t hurt to redo them all, yes, just for assurance, especially since you’ve got the cover off anyway. In the case of my ‘64, I just tightened the nut back down to spec, rechecked same on the remaining rocker arms and buttoned her back up. Fired it up and was smooth as silk!
Good luck, I’m sure you’ll be fine so don’t stress or over think it.
Cheers!

OP
OP
95_GTS

95_GTS

Reaction score
Hey Daryl, did you go through the whole firing order as you retightened?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Daryl, did you go through the whole firing order as you retightened?
No sir. Admittedly, I went straight to the bad one, torqued it to spec THEN went to the rest

joemomma

Reaction score
Unrelated, but my first car was a '65 ChevyII.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online