Drivetrain surging/jerking. NEED HELP!

SVT98SNAKE

Reaction score
I just noticed my car surging today. I know that it has nothing to do electronics ie: MAF, TPS...etc. Im pretty positive its the drivetrain. Heres the issue: the car surges only duing acceleration and deceleration. The car sort of jerks front and back until I either press the clutch in, put it in neutral, or come to a complete stop. I would really like some help if anyone has experienced this before or knows what Im talking about. Oh, the clutch operates just fine, feels the same and works the same.

Thanks Cody

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
Sounds like it's a fuel issue. Pushing the clutch in and putting it in neutral to "stop" the problem doesn't mean it's necessarily drivetrain related. So, obviously it's idling fine. Right?

OP
OP
S

SVT98SNAKE

Reaction score
not sure...I bought the car a couple of months ago from a friend. I could ask him.

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
SVT98SNAKE said:
not sure...I bought the car a couple of months ago from a friend. I could ask him.

Start with the cheap stuff first. After you ask him of course. Check your air filter, fuel filter, plugs, wires, etc.

OP
OP
S

SVT98SNAKE

Reaction score
ok. also, once I get to a certain speed the "jerking" seems to stop. Its worse in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears during acceleration, and Ive noticed it happening in 1st through 4th during deceleration. Motor revs just fine in neutral.

OP
OP
S

SVT98SNAKE

Reaction score
no i havent cleaned it. Its a possibility that it could be dirty.

OP
OP
S

SVT98SNAKE

Reaction score
ok...Ill check it out. I also have like 7 CEL codes for all four O2s, IMRC stuck open, IMRC fault, catalyst below limit and i think those are it. Sorry, I just thought about mentioning those. Wouldnt the MAF being dirty affect the idle though?

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
SVT98SNAKE said:
ok...Ill check it out. I also have like 7 CEL codes for all four O2s, IMRC stuck open, IMRC fault, catalyst below limit and i think those are it. Sorry, I just thought about mentioning those. Wouldnt the MAF being dirty affect the idle though?

Those CEL codes are most likely the culprits :thumb:

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
yes he did Aaron, he has way bigger problems. he called me about an hour ago, he busted the rear end. no joke.

theres a hole in the rear end cover and fluid was leaking out everywhere.

he had the car towed and he said it will hopefully be fixed today. it happened this morning. :crying:

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
yes he did Aaron, he has way bigger problems. he called me about an hour ago, he busted the rear end. no joke.

theres a hole in the rear end cover and fluid was leaking out everywhere.

he had the car towed and he said it will hopefully be fixed today. it happened this morning. :crying:

Yikes. So it was a drivetrain issue then.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
heh yeah.. he just called me about 3 minutes ago and said that the shop he originally took it to said 850 dollars to get it fixed!

so he was like eff that. so he called his buddy and his buddy knows a guy that works at Lonestar (where i go for stuff) and that guy said 300 bucks and well fix everything for you, just get the car here.

so hes getting it fixed at lonestar and should have it back hopefully by monday. :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995