Drove through water puddle help!

solis

Reaction score
Hey guys like the title said i Drove my 97 cobra through a water puddle and my car stalled and wont start now:mad:.
I need some help on what to check to find the issue. Coming from pushrod engines so I'm a little lost.
Thanks for the replies.

BigBore96

Reaction score
Pull the spark plugs out and disconnect the injectors and crank it over. Should get rid of any water out. When done reinstall and it should fire right up.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Drain oil and see how much water is in it. Good idea to change it then pull plugs and turn it over a min with fuel pump relay out. With the plugs out it will spray any water in the cylinders out.

After that put plugs and relay back in and see what it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
check to see if the filter is dry and its something electrical or if you suckes water up in it.

OP
OP
S

solis

Reaction score
thanks guys i will make a list of the items you mention to check. the car wont crank over and the starter just clicks, is there anything special i should check on the starter?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
check fuses. There are some maxi(big)fuses under the hood that can cause this had the same problem last week and it was a big 40 amp fuse for ignition 1

OP
OP
S

solis

Reaction score
well guys the worst has happened! about a cup or more of water went in the #8 cylinder and hydrolocked the engine, i can't crank the engine over.
is there a way to turn the crank over? spray wd40 in the cylinder? if no what engine do you recommend for replacing this one? i don't have the budget for another
Cobra engine, their way to expensive. I know about the Mark 8 engine being somewhat the same except for the cast crank.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Well that sux. Are you positive the engine is locked? Have you turned the engine manually? Grab a breaker bar and 18mm 6point socket on the harmonic dampener bolt and rotate clockwise.

If she is cooked, look into a rebuild. The rebuild may only need a few corrections or could need a full overhaul. Who knows till you look.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

BigBore96

Reaction score
Were the plugs removed? Try and Crank it over by hand with a breaker bar with them out. If that doesnt work theres a few old school methods you can do to get it moving again.

OP
OP
S

solis

Reaction score
Well that sux. Are you positive the engine is locked? Have you turned the engine manually? Grab a breaker bar and 18mm 6point socket on the harmonic dampener bolt and rotate clockwise.

If she is cooked, look into a rebuild. The rebuild may only need a few corrections or could need a full overhaul. Who knows till you look.

yes i tried with a breaker bar and cheater bar for more leverage, it wont budge. Do i have to remove the belt? and trans in nutral?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The belt is removed by inserting a breaker bar or ratchet into the square hole on the tensioner. Push on it and then slide the belt on/off of on roller and then carefully release the pressure on the tensioner.

OP
OP
S

solis

Reaction score
yeah unfortunately i had to fly today, but im gonna try the wd 40. trick when i get back, i got all the water out with a manual pump.
Honestly i dont know what got damaged so im going to start looking for a new engine, mark 8 more then likely because 8 can re-used my intake and fuel/ign system.

OP
OP
S

solis

Reaction score
So i bought a new engine out of a 96 Mark 8 with low miles 112k:D, way less then mine 170k. What should i replace before it goes in?
Don't Worry the Cobra engine will be a long time project, I'm going to rebuild it for Boost i always wanted a single turbo cobra.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Look at the exhaust cam sproket face. Youll want to take the sprocket off, file the right side of the key off. About half of it. Same goes for the secondary sprocket. Reinstall keeping the cam loaded against the filed side. Should give about a 10° alteration.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online