Dry sump vs road race oil pans

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ok so my car is going to be a DD/track car and i was thinking of experimenting with dry sump oil systems. If not for my 94 (DD/track car) then for my 72 (dedicated track car). But theres also other routes, and that includes the road race oil pan. Now the obvious reason why i want to do this system is so the motor doesnt starve. Does the oil pan do a good job of keeping it from starving? $350 oil pan vs a $3500 system. Is it worth it from an engineering/racing stand point? I dont want to say money is not an option but if something is worth the price i will purchase it. what are your thoughts?

torch318

Reaction score
Talked to a guy that ran a dry sump in his dirt track car he said the big benefit was that the car ran cooler because the system had 11 quarts of oil in it.

Tony Corley

Reaction score
Dry sump makes more hp because only a small amount of oil is in the engine at any given time, and windage is reduced. But lose a pump belt and you are done. Not to mention all the extra braided lines, external tank, and pump and brackets that have to be mounted and ran and in the way. Lots of extra plumbing and weight in the front. It you want to save money, use the road race pan and back it up with an accusump kit for safety.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Talked to a guy that ran a dry sump in his dirt track car he said the big benefit was that the car ran cooler because the system had 11 quarts of oil in it.

With that being said, i dont know if you know the answer, but, what will be more beneficial:

road race pan with oil cooler
or the dry sump kit.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Dry sump makes more hp because only a small amount of oil is in the engine at any given time, and windage is reduced. But lose a pump belt and you are done. Not to mention all the extra braided lines, external tank, and pump and brackets that have to be mounted and ran and in the way. Lots of extra plumbing and weight in the front. It you want to save money, use the road race pan and back it up with an accusump kit for safety.

How does that damage the motor? being this question from that common believe that if the motor has a small amount of oil it can mess it up.

and how exactly does the road race pan work? it has the capacity for more oil, so does that increase windage?

JKady

Reaction score
How does that damage the motor? being this question from that common believe that if the motor has a small amount of oil it can mess it up.

and how exactly does the road race pan work? it has the capacity for more oil, so does that increase windage?

He means you lose the belt for the dry sump pump and you're done. The dry sump in itself doesn't damage the engine, it's still getting pressurized oil.

Road race pans have trick baffles that keep the oil from running away from the pickup, and an accusump is an oil accumulator that ensures you have oil pressure in the event that the oil does slosh away from the pickup. Also pre-lubes the engine before you crank it up so it's got oil pressure from the turn of the key.

Most road race pans also have crank scrapers and other devices to limit windage. They get the oil out of the air within the crankcase so that the crank has less stuff to swing through and that frees up power.

RichV

Reaction score
The RR pan is worth every penny. Hard right-handers my oil pressure would drop from 40-50 down to 20 or lower depending how long you're in the turn. With the Canton RR pan, pressure is rock solid at the same tracks, through the same turns. I have an Accusump as well, but never installed it after I saw the RR pan in action.

The dry sump is worth more power, but depending on the class you run, it may/may not be worth it or necessary.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Also, let's not forget the cost of dry sump setup. Frankly, comparing one to the other is ridiculous. I'll make it as simple as I possible can. You buy drysump if you have money coming out of wazoo, and you buy RR pan, because you are a normal person with a normal salary.

Tony Corley

Reaction score
If you lose the belt on a dry sump, you no longer have oil pressure. The belt turns the external oil pump. You will do bearing damage very quickly if you are at higher rpms. Ask me how I know, LOL. I have ran them on several drag cars, worth hp, but like already stated, very expensive, and extra weight. I think you will be fine with a RR pan, and like I stated earlier, if you want the extra assurance, use an accusump, although you probably won't need it with a good pan.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
He means you lose the belt for the dry sump pump and you're done. The dry sump in itself doesn't damage the engine, it's still getting pressurized oil.

Road race pans have trick baffles that keep the oil from running away from the pickup, and an accusump is an oil accumulator that ensures you have oil pressure in the event that the oil does slosh away from the pickup. Also pre-lubes the engine before you crank it up so it's got oil pressure from the turn of the key.

Most road race pans also have crank scrapers and other devices to limit windage. They get the oil out of the air within the crankcase so that the crank has less stuff to swing through and that frees up power.

i meant how does the low amount of oil not do damage lol..but guess it depends on pressure right??

ahh ok makes a little sense. I am pretty sure the RR pan takes more oil right?

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
The RR pan is worth every penny. Hard right-handers my oil pressure would drop from 40-50 down to 20 or lower depending how long you're in the turn. With the Canton RR pan, pressure is rock solid at the same tracks, through the same turns. I have an Accusump as well, but never installed it after I saw the RR pan in action.

The dry sump is worth more power, but depending on the class you run, it may/may not be worth it or necessary.

im going just personal competition. Not really interested at this point to do it competitively. in your opinion, should i get the accusump as well? or should the pan suffice?

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Also, let's not forget the cost of dry sump setup. Frankly, comparing one to the other is ridiculous. I'll make it as simple as I possible can. You buy drysump if you have money coming out of wazoo, and you buy RR pan, because you are a normal person with a normal salary.

lol not saying i am rich or something. but i make a normal salary and dont have bills...sooo i can save up and get it if it is reallly necessary. but if i can save 3000 and just get a oil pan and it will do the job perfectly then i rather do that

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
If you lose the belt on a dry sump, you no longer have oil pressure. The belt turns the external oil pump. You will do bearing damage very quickly if you are at higher rpms. Ask me how I know, LOL. I have ran them on several drag cars, worth hp, but like already stated, very expensive, and extra weight. I think you will be fine with a RR pan, and like I stated earlier, if you want the extra assurance, use an accusump, although you probably won't need it with a good pan.

yaaa definitely going to do that. save me some money. might look into the accusump just because i like that pre-start lube :whip2:

RichV

Reaction score
im going just personal competition. Not really interested at this point to do it competitively. in your opinion, should i get the accusump as well? or should the pan suffice?

I would just go with a pan. One thing to consider on the accusump, if you get into a accident you could shear a line which will spray oil. Add a flame in that mix and it could be even more dangerous. Just something to think about.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
lol not saying i am rich or something. but i make a normal salary and dont have bills...sooo i can save up and get it if it is reallly necessary. but if i can save 3000 and just get a oil pan and it will do the job perfectly then i rather do that

You'd have build an 8,000+ rpm small block in order to really NEED dry sump, and something tells me that you're not going to do that. Save your money, and spend it wisely. Dry sump setups are typically for race motors that never see any street mileage. It is very rare that you see one on a street car.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Aren't the new Corvettes dry sump from the factory? Anyways, that's not the question.

Get a road race pan, and call it good. Dry sump is awesome for kool kid points and dedicated (think sponsored) race cars, but absolutely not a necessity for your intended level of competition.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
That's why I said that it's rare to see them on street cars. I don't know if the new one has it, but I remember C6 Z06, Grand Sport, and probably ZR1 had it.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I would just go with a pan. One thing to consider on the accusump, if you get into a accident you could shear a line which will spray oil. Add a flame in that mix and it could be even more dangerous. Just something to think about.

yikes.........no thanks. ill keep my car without the fire...

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
You'd have build an 8,000+ rpm small block in order to really NEED dry sump, and something tells me that you're not going to do that. Save your money, and spend it wisely. Dry sump setups are typically for race motors that never see any street mileage. It is very rare that you see one on a street car.

well i do plan on having the small block redline at 7500........but its going to be a majority street car(i plan on driving in first gear all time xD jk)

I just want my motor to last(a normal amount of time with proper care and maintenance) and handle the abuse when i give it

ReplicaR

Reaction score
You're around 20 years old, right? When I was 20, I thought that I would have a superchanged 383 in a LT1 Trans Am. Never happened. At this age, appetite is always bigger than mouth, if you know what I mean. Figure out what you want to do, and build something realistic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online