dusting off car?!

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Whats a good way to dust off a car without scratching it? is the best way just a quick detailer and a microfibre? Anything faster? My car doesnt get very dirty just dusty since I only drive it on sunny days really and park it in the garage....

ylw95gts

Reaction score
I hear ya Matt. I'm the same way with nice days only. I use both the California Duster and sometimes I'll speed detail it. Depends on my mood. Amazingly the dirtier the duster looks, the better it works. (or so they say)

OP
OP
Matt94GT

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So the duster actually works well? Im worried about scratching my paint with it. Is it good on wheels to get the dust off the chrome? or should I just use a microfibre on those, since they get a fair bit dirtyier then the rest of the car?

Thanks

rgs

Reaction score
california dusters are good stuff

OP
OP
Matt94GT

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
so $$$ though...lol but ya ill get one soon same with one of those special soft brush's that you can get into small cracks with, and works great for the back of your wheels...

What about the water blade, any good I heard it scratches...?

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
i have been hitting the car nightly with a microfiber and quickshine. i do have the car duster it works good too. it streaks the first few times till it gets "dirty" i guess. i am gonna go back to the car duster to see how it does after the full on detailing i did

OP
OP
Matt94GT

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
sweet keep me posted, its just using a microfibre and quickshine is kinda costly after a long time and it takes like 15 min vs like 5 it would take with a duster.

ALITL8

Reaction score
california dusters work but will leave light scratches... its just part of the deal. any time you rub across dirt/dust you'll make super fine scratches and after time you'll start to see them if not immediately. just polish them out and throw a wax on once every couple of months

try Turbo Shine for quick detailing, you'll love it!

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I use a cal duster, it's getting black, works good.
I also have a little dash one, for the dust attracting dash area.

I dust mine off, then hit it with a quick detail spray.
using meguires wax before, would spray and wipe with they're quick detailer spray and a micro.

I think if you have a coat of wax on the car, the swirl or light scratches from wiping wont really show bc you're wiping the
wax coat, not the clear coat. Correct me if im wrong.

Alitl8 - what is that stuff you linked?
Do you use it? Does it work with any kind of wax?
Tell us more about it.

wytstang

Reaction score
Nope if you wipe it and it scratches it's on the clearcote not the wax. It's such a thin layer of protectant that ot goes through no mater how many coats you apply.

ALITL8

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
Alitl8 - what is that stuff you linked?
Do you use it? Does it work with any kind of wax?
Tell us more about it.

its a waterless wash and a good one at that but i use it as a quick detailer. its way easier to work with than the megs qd. wipes on, hazes up and buffs right off! hell, i left it on a black car all day and through the night when we did the GMC/Pontiac display at the State Fair. came back the next day and polished it off like i had just applied it. you just have to trust me (again)... its awesome!

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
well i would say that a qd is better than the duster just like he said it will most likely leave light scratches. i havent tried anything else but i heard a lot of good things about the clearkote quickshine and i like it. It is supposed to be pretty easy on the wax too. its $14 for 32 oz bottle but you dont use much at a time really. i havent even paid attention to how much i have used up. i may have to give that turboshine a go. i would imagine that it may strip more of the wax off compared to quickshine but maybe not. I dont need to dust the car off tonight as that stuff (i think its called rain its been awhile since i have seen it) took care of that :banana: it just started hailing... glad the cars in the garage sleeping :)

ALITL8

Reaction score
turbo shine puts down a protective coating and works great in between waxes. it beads water, on its own, for a couple of months. its kind of an "all in one" wash/polish/wax but like i said "i" use it as a QD. when you run out of whatever you're using now just order some and try it. its great on dark cars after you wash and dry for removing those little water streaks left behind by the chamois. it also leaves a brilliant shine... i'm sure you'll like it or i wouldn't even mention it :thumb:

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
ya i may have to give it a try. i am looking for a different polish right now

ALITL8

Reaction score
i'd tell you what polishes and waxes i use but then i'd be giving away a trade secret :dunno: are you not satisfied with the clearkote stuff? honestly, if you want outstanding results with any quality polish or wax, start with a medium or mild compound depending on the condtion of the paint. finesse it II from 3M works great on new paint jobs to freshen them up before applying your polish and wax.

i polish and or wax mine every time i see the slightest sign of rub marks from washing... i know overkill but thats how i am. hell, i rented an 06 F-150 to drive to Dallas last weekend, brought it to the house, washed it, cleaned the wheels and wells, vacuumed, polished out the windows and then took off (btw, they had already cleaned it ::)). when i got home, i sprayed it down, removed the bugs, vac'd it out, cleaned the front glasses and returned it. im getting a sweet discount on my July 4th rental ;)

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
I like the clearkote quickshine. It is a great qd i think. I hit my car nightly with it and am pretty happy with it i have just never tried any other products to compare it to but i believe it is a top notch product. I got the 3m perfect II compound and plan to use it. When i was talking about polish i was talking about the pre wax cleaners/polishes. i am going to see what the 3m perfect II does first though

OP
OP
Matt94GT

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do you guys use a quick detailer after washing? Or is that pointless, if so do you spray it on when its wet or after you dry go over the entire car quickly?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online