Dynamat

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Eventually I'd like to pull my seats and carpet and dynamat the inside for the most part. I mostly want to keep the console somewhat cooler, and cut down on some interior noise. Anyone use dynamat before? How is the process gone about, where's the best place to order some from etc.. thanks

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I did the whole floor. Noise wise it's not that much difference. . Temp wise I never really checked. . I'm eventually going to do the doors. . I hear that makes the most difference noise wise. .

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I look to dynamat (butile type deadeners) as more of a resonance/vibration killer. I know a lot of the guys on here use the luxury liner stuff (I forget the brand) that's basically a lead filled mat, gets a lot of mass down and really kills noise.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
lead filled mat lol? Ah no is a rubber/vinyl material. Heavier then the stock jute damping that the factory uses under the carpet but it also is closed cell and doesn't absorb water or mold as well as has a much better noise resistance. I think now with the heat shield I just finished putting on the bottom of the trans hump that I have done every type of sound damping on the mustang. I pulled the stock carpet and started with second skin damplifier pro on the floor and the doors both on the outer skin and the inner and went all the way up to the ceiling. I replaced the stock carpet with a raw uncut piece and first put in the luxury liner on the floor to take the place of the stock jute and then put the carpet on top of that. After I put the exhaust on my console had issues getting hot so I actually put a traditional heat shield on the top of the console area, can't remember the brand but I also got it from second skin and it made a huge difference. Finally last year when I had the sub frame connectors installed and it was up on the lift at the shop I had them do a layer of lizard skin ceramic material on the bottom and like I said above just 2 weeks ago did another traditional heat shield on the bottom of the trans tunnel. Its the only thing I have a pic of right now everything else is so old I would have to dig up pics.
9302101409171703-59d4c612dc.jpg

In my years installing I have literally had my hands on every brand of sound damping material and for my own car second skin is the only brand I consider. Don't cheap out on it as there is a difference and no matter what you get do NOT get it at home depot(peel and seel/asphalt based).

Z06killinsbf

Reaction score
The PO of my car used the peel and seal all over my car (thanks dude...) and it's falling off and sliding around making a mess. My 66 is lined in Damplifier Pro and luxury liner, it made a huuuuuuggggggeeeee improvement.

Ttocs, I do like that heat shield and have been looking at doing that to both of my cars. What product did you use?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The nicest part of it all is you really will not be able to see any of it with the motor in, and now there is all kinds of light if I need to work in that area :)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-721202

Just used some aluminum tape on the edges and some rivets with washers on the end just to give a mechanical fastener in case the adhesives fail years from now.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have patches of dynamat on my car. I just use it to kill some vibration in like door panels and trunk.
I wouldn't waste my money on the whole car personally

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I have patches of dynamat on my car. I just use it to kill some vibration in like door panels and trunk.
I wouldn't waste my money on the whole car personally

Agreed. I'm just lookin to do around the seating area basically. Not doing the trunk or doors lol. Atleast not now anyway

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the doors are one of the areas that benefit the most from it. You can not only block out noise but it often helps to make an enclosure from the door and help the sound of the speakers as well.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
second skin damplifier lays out nice. i like it. first time ever using it. pricey but hopefully worth it. i'll know for sure once i get my sub and rear seat delete installed.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you had a piece of it in one hand a piece of dynamat in the other you would be like me and only use the damplifier pro in your own car.

kenny150r

Reaction score
I lined my entire trunk, doors and floors with Dynamat... My car is lowered and very stiff and I saw very little difference in the road noise. I wish I could take it out actually, it added like 50 lbs, but there's sticky tar stuff everywhere... Just my two cents!

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
i like to use it around the areas i have subs. seems to clean up the bass and mute most if not all of the annoying vibrations.

LAZER_RED

Reaction score
Try that lizard skin sound deadner that you spray on. They have stuff for heat and sound control, and since it is spray on you can get it into areas that you can not install the mats. lizardskin.com

Kris

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its good stuff I have it on the bottom of my car. I didn't notice a huge difference but by that time I had already gone nuts on the inside.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online